Micro micro-brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalahu

Reaction score
Hi!
I just started homebrewing and, as I have a lot of time on my hands, I have been reading about it. Most people out there talk about 5 gallon batches. I never tried to make smaller batches (in fact I am fermeting my second batch) but would like some more information on why its better to brew 5 gallon because I really want to experiment but I cant afford 30$ for every experiment and then have 40 botles of bad beer to drink. Also I cant wait for 1 month between batch and batch! And I dont have space to store all this beer! (bad beer takes long to be drunk).

Maybe I should ask bit more Father Google about it, but I think it can be good to talk a bit about pros and cons of making small to very small batches. Here is my first shot:

PROS

• Flexibility to make smaller batches and to experiment. As a newcomer, I am willing to experiment a lot to learn faster, and what for I need to make these 20l batches. If they turn out bad I will have to drink it anyway, so better have, lets say 5l
  • Cheap equipment. With the pots normally available at home a full boil batch is possible. Also a 5l botle of water is easy to find and very very cheap, although an airlock is needed and some hole is to be made.
  • Small fermentators fit in the fridge.
CONS
  • Lot of work for so few beer! Working so hard to make the mash and everything to get just 5l of beer can be kind of not worthed.

So that's it. I am waiting for you more expirienced guys to tell me about more pros and cons of micro batches.
Thanks and cheers!

PROS

• Flexibility to make smaller batches and to experiment. As a newcomer, I am willing to experiment a lot to learn faster, and what for I need to make these 20l batches. If they turn out bad I will have to drink it anyway, so better have, lets say 5l
  • Cheap equipment. With the pots normally available at home a full boil batch is possible. Also a 5l botle of water is easy to find and very very cheap, although an airlock is needed and some hole is to be made.
  • Small fermentators fit in the fridge.
CONS
  • Lot of work for so few beer! Working so hard to make the mash and everything to get just 5l of beer can be kind of not worthed.

So that's it. I am waiting for you more expirienced guys to tell me about more pros and cons of micro batches.
Thanks and cheers!

I think you nailed it.

I've made a couple of small (1-2.5 gal batches) for two reasons.
1.) I'm not set up for all-grain yet, so this has helped me to dip my toes in so-to-speak.
and 2.) I can experiment and not waste a bunch of beer/time/money.

The bummer is that it takes just as much work/time to make 1 gallon as it does to make 10.

I just feel that it's better to study twice,do once. Do some kits to get the process down. Not to mention,brewing what you like from what you buy. Then just start tweaking to make it what you want it to be. There are so many different LME's & DME's out there from dif countries to play with,you can get some good beers with good procedures on your part. And so many hop varieties & other additives to add to that.
So,if your going to spend the same amount of time,you may as well make it worth your while to do 5-6G batches. But do it right the 1st time,so to say.

With the amount of readily available recipes here at HBT and elswhere online I cannot see how, with a little searching, you would ever need to worry about a batch coming out bad.

In time you will just kind of know what looks good or not when it comes to brewing a particular recipe!

Being new, brew what you like and what people you trust like. As you get more comfortable and have your process "dialed in" then start to "experiment".

As long as you follow the recipe, clean/sanitize good, and keep your temps in range you will have a hard time NOT making decent beer at minimum!!

Keep on brewing and good luck!

Start with kits, known good recipes, or clone recipes first... As you get a better idea of what the ingredients give you, you'll be able to start tweaking things to make them more your own.

I would also advise getting/using software when you start tweaking things. That will help ensure you have a better idea of what you'll get. Such as if the recipe calls for 1oz of one hop, that has 7% AA (for flavor/aroma) and decide you want to use one but it's only 4% AA, you'll be able to see the impact. Same thing if you decide to change the bittering hop to another one. You might need to change the amount used, or time in the boil, to get the same end IBU's (or close enough)... You can also see how many IBU's beers you like have, and work to get close to those numbers in your own brews. Software takes a lot of the guesswork out of recipe formulation. It also compensates for things such as higher (or lower) gravity as it impacts the IBU levels.

I would also be sure you're ready to progress from extract batches into either partial mash, or all grain, before investing in the additional hardware. You can do a 'baby step' using the BIAB method. Once you're comfortable there, you can decide if you want to make/get a mash tun or not. There are some people that have been using the BIAB method for years, with solid results. There are others that started there, but then progressed to having a mash tun. I'm in the latter group. I converted a cooler I already had into a mash tun, and now I can brew pretty much anything I want, in either 5 or 10 gallon batch sizes. I'm no longer limited to mashing under 14# of grain in my 32 quart kettle, since I have a 70 quart mash tun... If you already have a decent sized cooler (10 gallon is a commonly used size) then think about converting it if you get to that point. Most people use coolers that already have drain plugs in them, so you can easily convert it back into a cooler if you need to.

For cost savings, start sourcing your ingredients via online vendors as well as LHBS in your area. Compare the cost of what you need either delivered to your door, or when you pick it up. If it's within a small percentage, then it's a coin toss. I prefer to buy locally, when I'm not getting sodomized by the LHBS for items. Otherwise, I'll order online... I typically plan a batch at least 1-2 weeks ahead... Most of the time (these days) I already have everything I need to make the batch. The only thing I might need to get is yeast, or a specialty grain I don't already have on hand.

Thank you dunnright00, you completely answered my question.

Thank you unionrdr, Golddiggie and KevinW.

I see I am just trying to fly before starting the engines. Ill stick with extracts for a while, but I was just wondering if it will turn out really bad to make 1-2G batches so I can try several different recipies (and thus learn much more about extracts, maybe speciality grains, hops, yeasts and whole process) with the same money. And avoid buying lot of equipment at this first stage of my brewing "career". Still, I wwant to go to AG as soon as possible, especially after reading this post about easy partial mash.

Thank you again.

If you're looking to scale 5 gallon batches down to 2.5 gallon (or smaller) batches, you probably should get some software to help out too. Keep in mind, you'll probably want to use DME instead of LME, unless you can get LME in bulk... It's easy to measure out fractions of a pound of DME compared with trying to save part of a can of LME...

If you don't already have a vacuum packer/sealer, I'd get one. That way you can seal up the partial bag of DME and make sure it will be just as fresh for the next batch.

I started off brewing 5 gallon extract batches using my existing 16 quart pot... That lasted until I went into partial mash brewing (one batch) where I went with a pair of 20qt pots. I've since moved to all grain with a 32qt kettle and cooler converted mash tun... All since just before Thanskgiving of last year.

If you're looking to reduce costs where possible, then you'll either need to get normal sized primaries now, or figure out what to use them for later (once you are brewing 5 gallon batches)... I have four 3 gallon carboys, but those are for mead and things other than beer. I use the primary bucket from my first kit to catch my milled grain now. I ferment in either carboys (5 and 6 gallon PET) or kegs (5 corny and 5.16 gallon Sanke)... I also tend to age, now, in kegs.

I'm new to brewing, and I'm moving in a month with 2 months before my next job starts. I definitely plan on making about 6 batches of various recipes w/ 6- 22oz bottles. A 60c stopper and a $1 air lock and each one is a fermenter. So I'm just going to steep grains in a sauce pan and divy up hop combos into various teas which I'll add in proportions. Seems like way more fun, and then I'll get to taste/smell various hops. I like the idea.

aomagman78 said:
I'm new to brewing, and I'm moving in a month with 2 months before my next job starts. I definitely plan on making about 6 batches of various recipes w/ 6- 22oz bottles. A 60c stopper and a $1 air lock and each one is a fermenter. So I'm just going to steep grains in a sauce pan and divy up hop combos into various teas which I'll add in proportions. Seems like way more fun, and then I'll get to taste/smell various hops. I like the idea.

Sounds interesting. I'd love to know how this works out for you. Another option is to get 1-gallon jugs of juice from the grocery store. Pitch yeast directly to the jug, add stopper and airlock, and for just a few bucks you got cider and a mini-carboy you can use for your future test batches.

Oh believe me, when I arrive I will be posting what will hopefully be a nice tutorial for new brewers. I have done 5 batches, and pretty much stayed in my comfort zone. I'm hoping to come up with a nice method that lets me try new things without much $$ and time wasted if I don't like them. I think a lot of new brewers would enjoy the same thing. I'll be taking suggestions for recipes.

I did several 2 gallon batches to start with and it worked out well for me. I got to brew more things and more often than I would have otherwise. I also didn't feel too bad about trying things other than basic Pale Ale and IPA or pushing farther outside accepted styles. Of course what I learned, is that it's good for a beginner to stay pretty close to known good recipes. But now I know why, and I know what quite a few hop and grain varieties taste like. I wouldn't have gotten around to so many if I was brewing only 5 gallon batches. Yeah, I could have just taken the advice of more experienced people on certain things, but somehow that's just not me.

Oh, one bad thing about brewing every two weeks was that I found myself over correcting for problems that wouldn't have been problems if I had given the beer a few more weeks to mature.

Start with kits, known good recipes, or clone recipes first... As you get a better idea of what the ingredients give you, you'll be able to start tweaking things to make them more your own.

I would also advise getting/using software when you start tweaking things. That will help ensure you have a better idea of what you'll get. Such as if the recipe calls for 1oz of one hop, that has 7% AA (for flavor/aroma) and decide you want to use one but it's only 4% AA, you'll be able to see the impact. Same thing if you decide to change the bittering hop to another one. You might need to change the amount used, or time in the boil, to get the same end IBU's (or close enough)... You can also see how many IBU's beers you like have, and work to get close to those numbers in your own brews. Software takes a lot of the guesswork out of recipe formulation. It also compensates for things such as higher (or lower) gravity as it impacts the IBU levels.

I would also be sure you're ready to progress from extract batches into either partial mash, or all grain, before investing in the additional hardware. You can do a 'baby step' using the BIAB method. Once you're comfortable there, you can decide if you want to make/get a mash tun or not. There are some people that have been using the BIAB method for years, with solid results. There are others that started there, but then progressed to having a mash tun. I'm in the latter group. I converted a cooler I already had into a mash tun, and now I can brew pretty much anything I want, in either 5 or 10 gallon batch sizes. I'm no longer limited to mashing under 14# of grain in my 32 quart kettle, since I have a 70 quart mash tun... If you already have a decent sized cooler (10 gallon is a commonly used size) then think about converting it if you get to that point. Most people use coolers that already have drain plugs in them, so you can easily convert it back into a cooler if you need to.

For cost savings, start sourcing your ingredients via online vendors as well as LHBS in your area. Compare the cost of what you need either delivered to your door, or when you pick it up. If it's within a small percentage, then it's a coin toss. I prefer to buy locally, when I'm not getting sodomized by the LHBS for items. Otherwise, I'll order online... I typically plan a batch at least 1-2 weeks ahead... Most of the time (these days) I already have everything I need to make the batch. The only thing I might need to get is yeast, or a specialty grain I don't already have on hand.

+1

I made the mistake of thinking I could tweak recipes and make things on my own with little experience...didnt turn out well :) - Past 3 recipes have been straight conversions (to my system) from Jamil's book Brewing Classic Styles. I knew these were proven recipes and it allowed me to just focus on my brewing technique. 2 of those recipes were 2.5 gallon batches. For me, I dont drink enough to consume all the beer im making, and I really enjoy brewing, so I choose to decrease the batch size.

If you have enough free time to brew 1 gallon batches, go ahead! Just make sure you take detailed notes of every step of your brewing process. That way in a few weeks way you taste the beer you can troubleshoot things if something went wrong. You can also have steps to recreate the beer if it was amazing!

The problem with smaller batches is that it doesn't take less time to brew them and they'll disappear before you realize it.

There are quite a few ways you can attack this issue without brewing such small batches.

Microbrews are your most valuable R&D tool. You want to make an IPA? Go and make a 6 pack of different IPAs and then jump on here and read about them. You can learn the ingredients that go into them and what makes one different from another.

SMaSH recipes - showcase specific malts and specific hops so you learn what they taste like.

Make a 5 gallon batch and split it into several smaller fermentors. You could try different yeasts, add oak, fruit, dry hop, or add spices.

Oh, one bad thing about brewing every two weeks was that I found myself over correcting for problems that wouldn't have been problems if I had given the beer a few more weeks to mature.

With brewing every two weeks, once your pipeline has been built, means you'll not run out of home brew. PLUS you can give each brew as much time as it needs without issue. Means you can give a single batch 4-6 weeks, if it needs that long and not run low/out...

My only 'issue' with brewing every two weeks is bottle supply... That shouldn't be an issue by the end of this year. I plan on having a keezer setup by then. I'll still bottle part of each batch, but I'll also have the kegs of home brew too. :D

If you're looking to scale 5 gallon batches down to 2.5 gallon (or smaller) batches, you probably should get some software to help out too.

Sure! In my second batch, I checked the usual hops of the region (Marynka and Lublin) and used Qbrew and some online calculators to contrast the IBU calculations I made from Palmer to adapt a recipe, or more exactly several similar recipes, to my ingredients. Also I considered the ratio finishing/bittering. But I wont be sure about the result untill the beer is, at least, done with fermentation (still few days).

Well I think this is going too far, but good luck. Ill be happy to read about your results. Besides one of the thinks I want to check is how beer ages, so I need several bottles with the same conditions.

I did several 2 gallon batches to start with and it worked out well for me. I got to brew more things and more often than I would have otherwise. I also didn't feel too bad about trying things other than basic Pale Ale and IPA or pushing farther outside accepted styles. Of course what I learned, is that it's good for a beginner to stay pretty close to known good recipes. But now I know why, and I know what quite a few hop and grain varieties taste like. I wouldn't have gotten around to so many if I was brewing only 5 gallon batches. Yeah, I could have just taken the advice of more experienced people on certain things, but somehow that's just not me.

That's the general idea.

The problem with smaller batches is that it doesn't take less time to brew them and they'll disappear before you realize it.(...)

Make a 5 gallon batch and split it into several smaller fermentors. You could try different yeasts, add oak, fruit, dry hop, or add spices.

This looks like the way to go: split some 3-4G wort into 2-3 pots and try different but equivalent hop combination.

Latest posts

Back