Keggle with a banjo evap rate problems!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm beginning to use my banjo and I want to know what kind of pre-boil volumes you guys use for a 5.5 gallon batch? I know with my old cheap turkey fryer, I'd get around 10% or so. Does the banjo do the same? Should I start my pre-boil at around 6.5 gallons or should I go higher?

Hey, if you've got the info, how about the pre-boil volume for a 11 gallon batch on a banjo burner with a keggle?

Thanks,
J

I am not a fan of percentage losses because the loss is very subjective...for instance you are in (humid)Houston and I am in (dry)cold ass CO...if we are both brewing outside I am going to lose quite a bit more due to ambiant temps and dew points. That being said, for a 5.5 gallon batch I start w 6.75-7 gals or for a 11 gallon batch, almost 13...you really have to watch boil overs when you are adding hops with a 13 gallon boil....nucleation sites are a *****!

I am not a fan of percentage losses because the loss is very subjective...for instance you are in (humid)Houston and I am in (dry)cold ass CO...if we are both brewing outside I am going to lose quite a bit more due to ambiant temps and dew points. That being said, for a 5.5 gallon batch I start w 6.75-7 gals or for a 11 gallon batch, almost 13...you really have to watch boil overs when you are adding hops with a 13 gallon boil....nucleation sites are a *****!

Yeah, you're right. I knew this and should have been more specific. Do you use a banjo? If so, is that the burner you started off with? If not, did you notice a change from your original burner to the banjo? I'm just trying to figure out if I should maybe stick with the pre-boil amount I'm typically used to. I'm going to use my burner soon and already have three batches planned when I get my bulk hops in. I want to stock up for the summer.

Other than a stovetop, this is the only burner I've had (BAYOU from Ace). I think you should stick with your normal amounts for your first batch, then see if you need to adjust. I would assume that any adjustment needed will be very minor.

Good Luck!

It's not really a percentage you lose. If you boil 5 Gallons and lose 1 gallon to evap and boil 15 gallons, you'll still lose 1 gallon to evap.

Best way to check, throw 5 gallons of water in your keg tonight and boil it for an hour. Measure how much is left :) Temperature will then effect that season to season.

I'm in Ohio and start with 7 gallons boil to get 5.5 into fermenter. Start with 12.5 to get 11 into fermenter. Regardless it's ~1.5G lost.
Your flame intensity will effect this because of how strong the boil will be. Also hop use will effect final quantities into fermenter through absorption.

For some reason I lose a lot more to boil off in the humid summer than the dry fall/winter. In July it seemed I couldn't get enough wort in the kettle for a 60 minute boil. I could probably boil for 90 minutes now and still overshoot.

Back