airlock question ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debauch

Reaction score
Once I put the water in the airlock, do I put the cap back on the airlock?

I didn't put it back on and it's been about 24 hours - is this bad? THe water moved a bit at first when I was moving the secondary back to it's spot after the transfer, but it's pretty even flat (the water in airlock) and hasn't really moved since.

You mean the little plastic cap with the holes in it? Yeah, put that back on.
You didn't hurt anything by not putting it on, but its supposed to be there, so put it back.

Yeah, put the cap on to the airlock. You probably did no harm in leaving it off so far. Good luck!

Yes put the cap back on. No you havent hurt you beer. It will be fine. If your worried about the water being contaminated and sucking back into you carboy just remove the airlock and resanitize and fill it. If you beer is actively fermenting there should be enough CO2 pushing out to keep nasties out.

Yes, the cap needs to be on there. Otherwise when fermentation becomes real active, there is a chance of propelling it off of the airlock. The cap merely is a stop for it to hit to keep it in place. No harm has probably been done by leaving it off.

no holes in it though? Does it need room to breathe? I had it removed because I thought the gas would leak out past the water ... it's the red cap in the photo.

(quick background - I've already let it sit in primary for a week and moved it to secondary last night).

Is the beer gonna be flat now? The instructions were pretty explicit on not letting off the top for any reason and I was thinkin' this is along those lines? Oh I'm such a noob, 1st batch. My questions will slow when I realize what I'm doing, lol.

It is flat, you are not at the point where you are going to carb it yet. It will be flat until you either keg or bottle it.

It is flat, you are not at the point where you are going to carb it yet. It will be flat until you either keg or bottle it.

You made my day. I thought the air made it flat in the secondary :ban:

I saw little dextrose 'tablets', what is the best bulk priming method in your opinions?

You made my day. I thought the air made it flat in the secondary :ban:

I saw little dextrose 'tablets', what is the best bulk priming method in your opinions?

I keg, but I believe most bottlers use priming sugar.

Back