Need space-rack Apfelwein now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
So, my apfelwein experiment is currently occupying my 6.5 gallon carboy, and my LHBS is out of carboys.

I have a 5 gallon carboy handy- can i rack the apfelwein during fermentation (four days in) so i can use my 6.5 gallon carboy for my all-grain brew this weekend? Or am i better off just leaving it and waiting to brew ( I hate waiting to brew)

If i rack it without splashing, will it be ok to transfer it to the smaller carboy?

Thoughts

Couple things I think of:

1) If you transfer, transfer as much yeast as possible if you do rack it.
2) Hope the LHBS has carboys by the time it is ready to rack for aging
3) Did you use a yeast that is not producing foamy krausen?

I say move it so you can brew and get another carboy to rack into when the apfelwein has reached terminal gravity.

Should not be a problem. Swirl it so you get the yeast in suspention if you just recently started it.

I ferment 5 gallons in 5 gallon Better Bottles all the time. I don't rack to a secondary at all.

So this seems to answer a question I came here to ask. I have 18 gal of cider, mostly apfelwein, nearly done fermenting. I've recently had knee surgery and I'm not sure I can lift a filled carboy or bucket and I know can't stand long enough to clean 200 bottles. I was wondering if I need to rack off into secondaries or if I was better off just leaving the stuff sit for the next month. Sounds like I'm better off letting it sit.

I always let anything apple-y sit in the same fermenter until I'm ready to deal with it (bottling-wise).

I have gone as long as 4 months in the Better Bottle before kegging and it turns out fantastic each time.

Back