Hop storage in Food Saver 5 ply bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious to hear the results.

Too often I hear that the Food Saver bags aren't O2 impermeable but I read on the FS site that they are air impermeable (so why not O2?).

Anyone had issues with long term storage of hops with the stock bags?

I did a search but only saw questions about the machine itself. My apologies if this has in fact been covered. Too many posts on Food Saver to read everything.

If someone does know of a thread where this has been discussed (i'd be surprised if it hadn't), Please Link.

I'm sure that, over the course of 5 years of not being opened, a bag of foodsaved hops would have some O2 permeation, but I never keep hops that long anyway. All my hops keep quite well in my foodsaver bags, but I haven't tried super-long aging either.

I've had hops in foodsaver bags 7 months. they look fine.

whole hops suck because the leaves shed and cause problems sealing if they get in that part of the bag.
pellet hops...easy cheesy. I made narrow strips...they look like weird green beef jerky packets.

I've had hops frozen in foodsaver bags for a year that seemed fine to me when I finally used them. I had them in a deep freeze that doesn't go through defrost cycles though. I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

I put all my hops in wide mouth glass mason jars, vacuum seal them and store in the freezer. I used some (I hate to admit this) 7 or 8 year old Cascades a few weeks ago that smelled like I just bought them and seemed to have held their alphas when I tasted the result.

Paul

Back