Kegerator in the Making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
What do you think? Would this make a good kegerator?

010108010210010412200708307b21db35d67aa1d0bb007650.jpg

0101000102000103062007083089fb4ce0c1d13d6d6a00b92e.jpg

It's a two-door freezer unit. I've asked for inside dimensions, but I'm thinking the upper section could be used for corney kegs while the lower section could potentially be used for laggering. Of course I'll need a controller to get it to run at lower temps, but even with a controller, you can't beat the price.

Yes it would work with a temp controler. Nice find!

Cheers

Now that's an intersting looking item! Kinda cool - two freezers in one. Must be a commercial unit.

I just bought a chest freezer for the same purpose. But your idea would work and you can't sneeze at the price. Go for it!
:ban:

Yeah, you definitely can't beat the price. Assuming the inside dimensions work out for the corney kegs (I'm hoping there's room for at least 4) and the bottom looks promising for a carboy I think I'll be all over it. Just waiting for an email back on the details...and confirmation that it still works.

olllllo said:
Need to see the inside. If the shelves are also the cooling coils, it could be a problem. Makes the unit less flexible.

Yes, that would be a deal breaker. I asked for some photos of the inside as well. Hopefully they're just removable shelves.

jfrizzell said:
What do you think?
I've asked for inside dimensions, but I'm thinking the upper section could be used for corney kegs while the lower section could potentially be used for laggering.

Just be aware that the temp controller would probably just run the unit as a whole, and balancing the temps on top and bottom may not be possible if one is meant to freeze and the other simply chill.

If it is an industrial or commercial unit, though, it might have a nice wide range of temps to work with, which might be perfect -

it's worth a look.

kvh

kvh said:
Just be aware that the temp controller would probably just run the unit as a whole, and balancing the temps on top and bottom may not be possible if one is meant to freeze and the other simply chill.

If it is an industrial or commercial unit, though, it might have a nice wide range of temps to work with, which might be perfect -

it's worth a look.

kvh

The description says it's a two door freezer, so I'm thinking with a controller I can get it to all run at the same temp.

Well, the guy turned out to be a tool. First he said he'd send some photos of the inside and get me some dimensions. Apparently he changed his mind..sent me an email saying he couldn't find a ruler! He said I should just come look at it.

It would have been a 40 minute drive each way, so I gave up on this one.

I found a nice Frigidaire for $40.

Let the kegerator building begin! :mug:

Latest posts

Back