Sticky Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Word to the wise:
When your fermenter overflows yeast all over the carboy and inside of your fermenting fridge, clean it up right away!

My Belgian overflowed in the big carboy - something that hardly ever happens. Must have been the starter. That was three weeks ago. Since then the fridge has been getting really smelly. Yesterday I decided it was time to clean it up.

I was disgusted to find mold growing all over the place in there. On the carboy, in every crevice of the door, and all over the top of the keg I have in there fermenting Apfelwein. What a horrible mess. I cleaned it all up with bleach spray and some Starsan for good measure. I think the beers in the carboys are fine, but I'm concerned about the keg. It's got a lot of little places where mold or even bleach could have got into. I guess I'll see. If it goes wrong, at least it was just $15 of juice, sugar, and yeast I lost.

Sanatize the CRAP out of anything and everything that was in that fridge. I would let it sit again and clean it about 3-4 more times! kill any and all bacteria in there. You dont want the place you ferment your beers to have mold. That is a recipe for disaster!

Started cold crashing last night. I'll definitely do a bangup cleaning job when these batches are done.

Back