Yeast in my first batch of beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieboot

Reaction score
Just getting started in this wonderful hobby....

Boiled my first batch on friday, then pitched the yeast on Saturday when the temp was about 20 oc...Using Safales-S-04 ale yeast...

There was quite a bit of activity in the lock yesterday (sunday) but now its monday morning and its pretty slow....maybe 3 or 4 noticable 'bubbles' every minute or so....

Is this a normal rate for yeast..I kinda expected it to be going crazy or a couple of days....

Thanks for any help guys!

Jamie

Sometimes you can have a brew ferment out almost completely in just a day or two. That isn't abnormal at all. Besides, the airlock doesn't give you an accurate indicator as to what is going on in there anyway, so I wouldn't be concerned at all. Sounds like everything is going just as it should be. Won't be long and you'll have some good beer.

I just boiled a Kolsch on Friday, cooled it, pitched yeast and put it in the brew closet. By Sunday morning, the bubbling in the airlock had dropped to almost 1/min. I can see where the krausen formed and everything looks normal. My yeast must have been hungry little beasties!

I've had it happen with earlier brews and they have always turned out ok.

Latest posts

Back