First All Grain 5 Gal. Batch Last Night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
I built myself an igloo Mash Tun and brewed my first 5 gal. all grain batch of Cream Ale last night. It took about 5 hours in the end from build to brew's end. I had to split the boil on the stove in two pots (1/4 and 3/4 portions). I diveded the first runnings to each pot and then the second runnings until they were full. I diveded the hops up as best as I could and boiled for 60 Min.. Took a little longer to chill than expected ! NO Chiller :( ? Could the beer be ruined if it sat for 45 min???) The boil rendered 4 Gal. of beer. I added to ferm. bucket and toped off with 1 Gal. of fresh water. Pitched the yeast I thought a little to hot probably at 75-80. Put the blow off in a carton of star san and water. Closed the closet door..

Home from work today and low and behold...

Its Blowing !!

I was worried but I guess something went right!!

Question though about the blow off.. Do you have to drain the blow off?? If so can you take the tube out of the water and star san??

Good question, I had to throw together an emergency blow-off the other day..almost made my kids cherrios cherry flavored. It's settled down now, but I have not changed the solution in the jug since I put it together. about 4 days ago.

I check in with a friend this morning and she said it is fine to take the tube out and drain off some water if need be but it should be fine...

I can't wait to brew my next batch!!!

Back