Bottling Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I made a SNPA yesterday for my 3rd extract batch. In the past, I've done two wheat/wit beers and did a primary only then straight to bottles.

Since this is my first ale, I'd like to see what racking it over to a secondary would do in terms of clarifying. However, my secondary is currently holding 5 gallons of Apfelwein. The Apfelwein's hydrometer reading is at 1.010. I know it has a little more to go and it's already been 3 weeks. Here's what I'm considering doing:

Re-test the gravity on the AW next weekend, if it's still dropping then just leave everything as is. Repeat the next week and the week following.

If I do notice the gravity stabilizing in the AW, I'm considering bottling that up and racking over the SNPA to the carboy. However, if 3-4 weeks go by and the AW is still going, I'll just leave it (SNPA) in primary and go ahead and bottle it at the 4 week mark.

Anyone see any major flaws in this? Opinions? (Without getting into the primary vs secondary debate)

Should be fine to do that (coming from a pro-secondary guy). If there's any way to do it, you could help to clarify the beer in the priamry if you could crash cool it. Put that bucket into a fridge at 37 degrees for 7-15 days, and your beer will clear up nicely.

Apfelwein should be ready to bottle at four weeks, but if you use your apple secondary for beer you can't make more apfelwein for a week or so, and you know that stuff takes a month. Personally, I would buy more juice and make another batch of apflewein and "pitch" on the yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back