Started steeping and realized I'm missing a thing of hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy250f

Reaction score
Rookie mistake here. This is my first brew and I got a bit anxious. I got going and started steeping my grains. Well while I was doing that I was looking over my ingredients and comparing them to my list... I'm missing one. Would it be a problem to finish steeping and run to the LHBS to get them before I start my boil or would that somehow mess something up?

Got the brew done. Now I'm trying to make my house colder so I'm not fermenting at 70*. Haha Never thought my house being in the low 70's would be a bad thing.

If you're fermenting an ale, 70F is not bad. Fermentation temps will rise a few degrees over that, but it would be manageable.

Try to get the beer even colder. Low to mid 60's would be better. Aim for the low end of the yeast's range. Look up "swamp cooler" basically a bucket or container big enough for your fermenter, some water and ice bottles to rotate to regulate the temperature.

I've been doing a pretty good job keeping it colder. It's been in the 60's around here lately so I've just been keeping it outside. I'm keeping it right next to the window so I can go over and check on it every once in a while. I moved it in last night and just did a swamp cooler for it.
Is it a bad idea to be moving it around a bit while the yeast is doing it's thing?

Back