It looks like I've used expired malt syrup!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I should have smelled trouble when I sale the 3 for 2 sign. The malt syrup seems to have been expired. The date says 6/13
Should a light malt look very light?
My wort is quite dark which led me to check the expiry date.
Yes, I know. Papazian would tell me to relax and have a homebrew.
Any thoughts?

Hey guys,
I should have smelled trouble when I sale the 3 for 2 sign. The malt syrup seems to have been expired. The date says 6/13
Should a light malt look very light?
My wort is quite dark which led me to check the expiry date.
Yes, I know. Papazian would tell me to relax and have a homebrew.
Any thoughts?

Light malt doesn't really look that light. Is this canned extract? Is that the expiration date or a packaging date?

My thought...listen to Papazian. Nothing you can do about it now. Will the flavor be off? Maybe, maybe not.

It's unhopped malt extract from the LHBS (packaged in house in white plastic containers, the lids ringed with packing tape to keep them on).
They had a sale and the guy at the counter stopped me from buying one of them because the lid was convex. I think they're just old. I wonder what the effect will be. I'm disappointed that I fell for the attraction of a sale price.
I'm brewing Heinistella European Delight from Papazian's book. It looks pretty damn dark which is why I got concerned.

Well, it's possible that the date is actually the day they packaged the stuff...which still means it has been sitting around for a while. They don't package it as you buy it? The only place I've been to that pre-packages their extract is More Beer, but they vacuum seal the stuff in bags. My other place fills the tub when you order and I also think they fill the backspace in the bulk container with nitrogen.

Back