Side note from questions on steeping or mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbotrice

Reaction score
I am doing a clone of Two Hearted ale that has 4 lbs of munich, I understand that steeping is not what I want to be doing, but do I need to do a three phased mashed mentioned in the other question or just mash at 152-155 for an hour? Thanks. MPW

You can get away with either method. If you choose to steep the Munich malt you will get a little more character out of it (depends on the beers desired profile). If you mash it, at least a two step, you will break it down a little.

seansbrew said:
You can get away with either method. If you choose to steep the Munich malt you will get a little more character out of it (depends on the beers desired profile). If you mash it, at least a two step, you will break it down a little.
With a mashing grain such as Munich, if you are 'steeping' at the correct temps, then you're technically mashing. No need to worry about multi-step mashing, single temp mash will work just fine.

Munich has enough enzymes to convert itself. It will do this in a single step at 152F 30-45 minutes.

LupusUmbrus said:
With a mashing grain such as Munich, if you are 'steeping' at the correct temps, then you're technically mashing. No need to worry about multi-step mashing, single temp mash will work just fine.
I guess it all depends on what one's idea of "steeping" is. My friend, who own's a brew supply store, includes these instructions with his homebrew kits: For specialty grains, bring 1 quart of water (per 1/2 lb. of grain) to a temperature of 170 degress, turn off heat, drop specialty grains in water and let Steep for 30 minutes.
I totally disagree with this, if there are any enzyme malts in the specialty grains, there will be no conversions.

If your idea of steeping goes something like this: bring water to 153 degress, drop in grains, hold temp for 30 minutes, bring temp to 170, turn off. This is technically a mash.

Instructions, like my friends, do not explain that his method is fine if the only malts used do not contain enzymes.

seansbrew said:
I guess it all depends on what one's idea of "steeping" is. My friend, who own's a brew supply store, includes these instructions with his homebrew kits: For specialty grains, bring 1 quart of water (per 1/2 lb. of grain) to a temperature of 170 degress, turn off heat, drop specialty grains in water and let Steep for 30 minutes.
I totally disagree with this, if there are any enzyme malts in the specialty grains, there will be no conversions.

If your idea of steeping goes something like this: bring water to 153 degress, drop in grains, hold temp for 30 minutes, bring temp to 170, turn off. This is technically a mash.

Instructions, like my friends, do not explain that his method is fine if the only malts used do not contain enzymes.

Your friend is correct with the 170 degree strike water. Without additional heat being applied, the grain addition will cause the temp to drop to mashing ranges though it would be a weak, diluted mash. IMO better instructions would be 1 qt per 3/4 lb of grain.

For the most part we are talking about one to two pounds of grains for a 5 gallon extract batch. On average if you are adding grain to water at a 1 quart to pound ration ( which is what I use) your temperature will drop anywhere from seven to ten degrees (unless your malt was in the fridge :D ). which would still be to hot. I used to mash in a cooler and had it down to a science. I would typically ad grain to temperatures that were 9 degrees above my strike temperature ( agian 1qt per pound) and nail my mash in temp. I guess the mashing of the specialy grains (even if some of them have enzymes) is not the most critical thing to worry about. Anyway, time for some Four Peaks kilt lifter scottish ale, cheers.

Back