Racking on yesy cake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I know you can rack from primary to secondary then use put a fresh brew into the primary to reuse the cake.

A couple of questions.

Any chance of an off taste?
Any method description for doing it or do I just dump the wort in and agitate/aerate?
Would it work if I used the yeast cake/trub in the secondary?

Edit: yesy cake!!!!!! ffs....yeast......

I and many others here have done it before. I just rack completely on top without trying to remove anything. As far as off flavors.. no but if you make a completely different style, you might end up with flavors from the first in the second. I usually do it making really strong ales, my barleywine for instance. I did an American pale ale and then racked the wort from the barleywine right on top. The barleywine was darker in color and had more hops than the APA. It's a year later and it tastes great.

The concensus around here is to not use the yeast from the secondary since it was the yeast that wouldn't fall out of suspension in the primary.

Brewsmith said:
The concensus around here is to not use the yeast from the secondary since it was the yeast that wouldn't fall out of suspension in the primary.

Correct. You will want to use the yeast cake from the primary fermentation. Do a search on this site as there are a lot of threads about reusing yeast.

I also agree with using the yeast from the primary. You dont have to pitch on top of it, just add a little cooled preboiled water to loosen it and pour it off through a funnel into 2 or 3 sanitised soda bottles and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Take it out of the fridge 24hrs before use, if you split it more than 2 or three times make a starter. If it was originaly dried yeast only reuse once or twice, if it was originaly liquid yeast you should be able to reuse it at least 3 times if you keep everything well sanitised.

Just pour the wort in & jump back! Every time I've done this, I've had huge ferments.

2113-small_0464.jpg

My reading indicates that you only need about 1 cup of the slurry. So I usually slosh the carboy around and dump 1/2 of it- first time into sanitaized beer bottles that I cap and refrigerate. I've gone 3 times, then next time dump it and open another beer bottle. Make a starter fersure, each first time out of the bottle.

Back