Did I over-aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I did a PM of a summer ale last night. Using an aquarium pump (suggested by a friend) i let it sit for 26 minutes bubbling away. It looked like this after 5 minutes...
4-2005.jpg

Does it always do this? This is my first time aerating so I dont know. It's now 12 hours past the pitching and no bubbling has started and its around 76F.

Is this ok?

Well, just to nitpick, you can put too much O2 in if you use an O2 tank and stone but not with any method of pumped air or shaking. If you overdo it on an O2 tank, you can sterilize your yeast.

no problem with the aeration but do not ferment at 76*
get your fermenter in an area closer to 70* or you will get some off flavours in your beer

I keep my bucket in a cooler with ice packs. My Fermometer ranges from 68-73 throughout the 2 days before changing ice packs.

thanks for the advice

I did a PM of a summer ale last night. Using an aquarium pump (suggested by a friend) i let it sit for 26 minutes bubbling away. It looked like this after 5 minutes...

Does it always do this? This is my first time aerating so I dont know. It's now 12 hours past the pitching and no bubbling has started and its around 76F.

Is this ok?

i would be worried about his part, that is a pretty high ferm temp. i try to keep mine in the mid to low 60's ambient.

******they beat me too it*********

I didn't ferment it at 76, that was where I stopped wort chilling b/c my hose water temp is 75 or so. It's in the cooler ranging from 68-73 (California Ale V temperature range)

Back