CO2 in the house ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch of cider, and you might think I'm an idiot with the following question but ~
Is it safe to ferment in the house ?? we have a small house and the bucket is bubbling away in the kitchen...I've read that CO2 is heavier than air and sinks, and the baby sometimes plays on the floor around 15 feet from the 5 gal Jug..

Do you make cider/beer in your house?
Is this going to cause us to get coloring books for Christmas FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES ??

Just Checking,,
Joey

For liability reasons I of course am not going to tell you it's 100% safe. Disclaimer aside, I brew indoors in my 700 sq. foot apartment without issue.

Thanks man.. judging by your proper capitalization and punctuation, i'll assume I'm OK .. :)

IIIIIDD b33 more coonssersned iaffffffff you tiiipeedd likkkkee ethhhiisss...
Y)000'LLL BBBEE FiN3333...

:) Joey

Having a dog would produce more CO2 in the house. Also getting worked up about this sort of thing probably produces the same amount of CO2 as the yeast will.

I think RDWHAHB can apply to parenting as well as homebrewing...

Yeah you produce more CO2 breathing then you will brewing. You are totally fine, now if your kid drops dead don't come after me but I am 100 confident that there will not be a problem.

Most houses have enough area and enough random air circulation that a fermenting batch isn't a problem. It takes 3% CO2 to be harmful and you'll all have headaches long before that anyway. A small closed room is a different case, so don't lock your kid in the bathroom with an active ferment.

Back