carbonating with nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to recently get a nitrogen system for my home bar. I have a nice stout ready to hook up but have a question regarding carbonation. Would you force carbonate with the nitrogen or do you still have to use the CO2 and then vent the keg after carbonation and switch to nitrogen to pour? Thanks for the help with this - I am looking forward to having a good set up and enjoy a frothy stout!

Congrats on scoring the nitrious setup. The latter is right; nitrogen doesn't get absorbed into beer, so you still need to carbonate with CO2, then use the nitrogen to pour.

And don't forget, you'll need 3-4 times the pressure when you switch to N2/CO2, otherwise the beer will go flat.

Congrats on scoring the nitrious setup. The latter is right; nitrogen doesn't get absorbed into beer, so you still need to carbonate with CO2, then use the nitrogen to pour.

Apparently I'm missing something on how the effect is created. Does the creamyness come from just having a very high dispensing pressure and regular amount of dissolved CO2?

The best nitro beers I have had are created by force carbonating (natural would be even better) to about 1.5 volumes of CO2, versus the normal level of about 2.5. Then hook up the nitro to push it out the special nitro faucet which has a screen in it that mixes the nitro with the beer as it flows into the glass giving it the bubbles that flow downward and the characteristic creaminess that we all desire.

Thanks for the reminder about the pressure as well. I had forgot about that and I definitely want to avoid having the beer go flat. Is there a pressure that you have used before or heard of using when dispensing a stout?

The gas used for dry stouts and such is called draft blend and is 75% N2 and 25% CO2. When I keg my Murphy's Clone I just put it under ~44psi for a couple of weeks and it carbonates fine. You will need a stout faucet with a flow restrictor otherwise at those pressures the beer will go all over the place.

And don't forget, you'll need 3-4 times the pressure when you switch to N2/CO2, otherwise the beer will go flat.

just read this quote and i have a question:
so if i have my co2 reg set at say 14psi w/ say fridge temp at 40 degrees F, i would need to set my nitro reg to 42 - 56psi??

as long as I force carbonate with Co2 first is there a certain type of nitrogen i need to use?

Latest posts

Back