If I am not carbonating my beverage, can I pasteurize immediately after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
If I am not carbonating my beverage, can I pasteurize immediately after bottling? Or does it help the taste to let it sit for a week and then stove top pasteurize?

Edit: Also, what is the best way to sanitize bottles, without that spray tool that most people use. Can I just fill it with starsan, dump the starsan out and then use it for bottling? Thanks.

I don't see why you couldn't pasturize immediately after bottling if you don't want carbonation. If you leave it for a week and there is any residual sugar and yeast it'll carbonate on its own, so immediate pasturization sounds like the best thing for you.

As for starsan, I haven't used it myself but from what I've read it only needs a short contact time for it to work. So if you pour some into the bottle and give it a quick shake and pour the remainder out I imagine it should have a similar effect to spraying. Either that or get a cheapie spray bottle from the dollar store and use that?

I don't see why you couldn't pasturize immediately after bottling if you don't want carbonation. If you leave it for a week and there is any residual sugar and yeast it'll carbonate on its own, so immediate pasturization sounds like the best thing for you.

As for starsan, I haven't used it myself but from what I've read it only needs a short contact time for it to work. So if you pour some into the bottle and give it a quick shake and pour the remainder out I imagine it should have a similar effect to spraying. Either that or get a cheapie spray bottle from the dollar store and use that?

okay I will pasteurize the same day then. I have a spray bottle for that purpose. I was just afraid I might not spray it well enough and miss contact on some parts. I think I will buy one of those vinators for next time, but I need a temp solution before then. Thanks for your help.

If I am not carbonating my beverage, can I pasteurize immediately after bottling?

yes. very easy

i use iodophor, don't have any spray thing, but it's the same idea, fill the bottles, liet them sit a couple minutes, drain them. a bottle draining rack would be nice but i let mine stand upside down on a clean kitchen towel. the drained iodophor makes sure the towel is sanitized locally!

Seems to me if you have well cleaned bottles and are going to pasteurize immediately after bottling........Sanitizing is kind of a wasted process.

Did you backsweeten or stop the fermentation prematurely? If not, I don't see a need to pasteurize, since any available sugars would have already fermented.

I sanitize my bottles with Starsan. I know they are popular, but I'm not a big fan of a vinator. I mix about 4 gallons of Starsan solution in a five gallon bucket. I sink the bottles in the bucket for a few minutes before emptying them.

I sanitize my bottles with Starsan. I know they are popular, but I'm not a big fan of a vinator. I mix about 4 gallons of Starsan solution in a five gallon bucket. I sink the bottles in the bucket for a few minutes before emptying them.

I do the same thing for sanitizing my bottles.. fill the bucket with Starsan solution.. can fit about 10 bottles in the bottling bucket at a time, let em sit a minute or two, vigorously shake and drain the bottles, then dry on a bottle tree. This method has the added bonus simultaneously sanitizing your bottling bucket. I would think that vinator thing would be more work than its worth.

i use starsan to fill my bottles. I put starsan in a 2L pitcher, fill 4-5 bottles 3/4 the way then pour em out as I bottle the cider. I also like to dip the tops of the bottles in the solution to make sure that gets cleaned too.

Back