No signs fermentation after 14 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goody0

Reaction score
Brewed a brown ale last night, pitched the yeast around 6:30pm and as of 8:00am there are no signs of fermentation. I did a yeast starter and it looked healthy, would almost volcano when I stirred it. Pitched at 70 degrees, aerated real good before pitching. House is at 68 degrees. Sanitized like a maniac like I always do.

Should I give it more time or should I get another packet of Thanes 1275 wyeast and pitch it?

Thanks

just wait.,....can take up to 72 hours....but with a starter I would think 12-20 hours and it will be rolling good!

I'll give it some more time. If after 72 hours what do you all think I should do?

Thanks for all of your help.

If no signs of fermentation after 72 hours....take a gravity reading, if the number is still your OG re pitch!

Wheat beer brewed last weekend, yeast lag was close to 72 hours. Now its going bonkers. Be patient. I aerated, sterile a couple of times to help them multiply, but other than that. I crossed the fingers. This morning. The head is up to the top of the 6g and into blow-off tube!

give her more time, sometimes I have to open the lid on the bucket to check to see if it started as there was no airlock activity

I know with the temperatures being low, it took my last batch like 36 hours to start kicking in but after it did it came along as normal. I would def wait a bit longer and as mentioned before, just repitch if your OG hasnt changed.

I know what bonehead move I did now. In the sumer I would sanitize my fermenter, lid and airlock, put the lid on loose and the airlock in. I would put this on the table in my garage. Well I did this last night when it was 25 degrees out I did the same thing. The pail, without starsan in it sat there for 90mins in 30 degrees temps, I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees but the pail must of dropped the temp quite a bit. Fermentation has now started and thanks to all who responded.

Back