Mixed-Berry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might want to try 71b next time. That strain breaks down some of the malic acid that gives wine that bite. Makes a HUGE difference for my blackberry wine.

i made this 11-28-15 (2 weeks tomorrow) and I was planning on racking at the 2 week mark. I just looked at it and it's still fairly active fermenting. I also have not taken the fruit out. I assume none of this is a problem and plan on waiting another week before doing anything else????

also, can someone tell me how to make a pie with the fruit?

You should take out the fruit, rack the wine and let it ferment as long as you want. Longer it ferments, higher the ethanol. Follow the blueberry wine recipe when you want to stop fermentation and bottle.

1. I see the recipe calls for 2 cans of cherry pie filling: I assume this is the standard size can? I found cans of sour pie cherries (without filling). Is the "filling" part necessary?

2. Second, on the "containers" of grape juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen cans that are generally around 12 ounces?

3. What does it mean in the recipe where it says "pitch"? Does that mean "toss it in"?

Thanks!

Kathy

1. I see the recipe calls for 2 cans of cherry pie filling: I assume this is the standard size can? I found cans of sour pie cherries (without filling). Is the "filling" part necessary?

No, the filling part is not necessary. However, the filling part contains sugar so your ABV (alcohol by volume) will likely be lower unless you add some sugar. If you are adapting the recipe like this, then you really need a hydrometer to make sure you hit the correct numbers.

Although this recipe is very adaptable, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2. Second, on the "containers" of grape juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen cans that are generally around 12 ounces?

Yes, those are the ones.

3. What does it mean in the recipe where it says "pitch"? Does that mean "toss it in"?

Thanks!

Kathy

Yes, to 'pitch' the yeast is to add it to the fruit, sugar, and water mixture in your fermenting bucket.

Might want to try 71b next time. That strain breaks down some of the malic acid that gives wine that bite. Makes a HUGE difference for my blackberry wine.

my wife complains about that "bite" but I kinda like it. So, the lavlin 71B takes that bite out?

~~Ingredients~~
10# Sugar
2 cans cherry pie filling
1 can blueberry pie filling
4 containers frozen grape concentrate
1 gal cranberry juice
1/2 tbls nutrient
1/2 tbls energizer
1 tbls pectic Enzyme
1pkt Montrachet yeast
Water to 5.5 gal

~~Prep~~
1) dissolve sugar in 1-2 gallons of warm water on stove and set aside in pot
2) add pie fillings, concentrate and half of the cranberry juice to the brew bucket.
3) Add nutrient, energizer, and enzyme to the half of the cranberry juice still in the jug and shake like crazy to dissolve and aerate. Add to brew bucket.
4) Pitch in the sugar solution. Then use warm/cool water to bring the total volume to 5.5-6.0 gal and the temperature to about room temp.
5) let sit about 12 hours while the pectic enzyme does it's work.

.... 12 hours later
6) use about 2 cups of the solution to start your yeast in a small jar or cup. After it's frothy, swirl, pitch and give a quick stir.
7) cover and wait about a week. I accutally use a lid and airlock, but some people like to just cover with a towel or cheese cloth.

.... 7(ish) days later
8) use a wire strainer to scoop out the floating fruit. I save this in the freezer, it makes AMAZING pie. :)
9) rerack to a 5gal carboy and a half-gal (or similar) small jug. The small jug will be used for topping up on subsequent rerackings.
10) Rack and treat as other wines until clear. :)

~~Primary Details~~
Sat in an Ale Pail on my kitchen counter for a week. Regular room temp 70F-75F

~Secondary~~
Used blue plastic water jug (the type found at lowes etc). Already had a debate in another thread about oxygen permeability, and yeast settling but it ended up not being any problem (at least that I could taste or see).

~~Bottling~~
Stabilized a week prior to bottling by racking onto 5 crushed campden tablets and just shy of a tablespoon of of sorbate.

~~Moral of the story~~
Cheap. SWEET. Enjoyed by all.

our first batch of this finished at 1.030 (it's still delicious though), I think probably because I never stirred it. Anyway we started our 2nd batch 10 days ago and it's already at 1.020 and bubbling every 5 seconds after racking to a carboy, so I'll probably get to see that 1.006 this time. Anyway, I was wondering what your usual time from pail to glass?

btw - 1.120 - 1.006 = 14.96% ABV :drunk:

Back