Beer is layering in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korgman

Reaction score
I posted this first in the recipe section. I looked at the batch again. I'm almost certain that what I am seeing is the beer separating like a black and tan. Could the Vienna part of the beer possibly be separating from the Pilsner. It is like a 3 inch slightly darker gold layer sitting on top of the lighter golden. And its not gradual. There's an edge that is only visible at certain angles because of lighting. I don't even know if a photo would capture it.

Or, I'm crazy.

My version of a Pilsner Ale (Alesner?) has been in secondary for a week. I've looked at the carboy from about 7 different angles, and it looks like its darker at the top. It was my first AG, I used 9lbs pils, 1 lbs Vienna, Saaz hops, US-05 yeast for a 5 gallon batch. Its golden all through, just looks darker at the top 3 inches. There is also a thin ring of sediment floating on the surface making a ring all around the beer. The ring goes around the whole batch and is about 1.5 inches inside the wall of the carboy.

Then, I don't know what to make of this, there is an identical ring floating in the beer about 2 inches under the top ring. Just floating there, perfecting around.

Is this common, does it mean anything?

that is just the yeast settling out. Happens all the time, bottle when it reaches the bottom :).

Clear beer will look darker, the yeasties reflect light, making the beer "appear" lighter in color.

It is like a fog bank... it looks bright, because the water droplettes are reflecting light, as they obstruct the light.

Back