Aroma Hops and Adding Wort to the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
When I add wort to the primary I pour it thru a strainer. The strainer I use is very fine and removes ALOT of the hops from the wort, which makes for very clear beer without using a secondary.

My question: Is adding aroma hops useless because the get strained out? Should I "dry hop" instead?

When I add wort to the primary I pour it thru a strainer. The strainer I use is very fine and removes ALOT of the hops from the wort, which makes for very clear beer without using a secondary.

My question: Is adding aroma hops useless because the get strained out? Should I "dry hop" instead?

The fact that you add the hops so late in the boil (or even right at flameout) means that the major contribution that they make to the beer is in the aroma. It's this short time in contact with the hot wort that determines this. By the time you strain the wort into the fermenter, you have already extracted the aroma compounds, so it probably would have no effect were you to leave those aroma hops in the wort.

Of course, if you want MORE aroma, you can either increase the amounts in your late addition(s), or you can dry-hop. That's your call.

Back