[SPOILERS] Star Wars - The Force Awakens / Rogue One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid and boring might be the furthest thing I'd ever consider as adjectives for this movie.

Got to take the kids and see it tonight..was a fun movie to watch, but felt very much like a repeat of the original with new and old faces.
Looking forward to seeing how the next one will shape up but if Rey starts to carry Luke on her back running up and down those stairs to train as a Jedi, I am out.
Some of my own observations:
- Kylo ren has had training as a Jedi and Rey has not held a lightsaber until 2 mins before fighting ren, but manages to easily kick his ass and mind control troopers even though it took Luke almost 2 full movies to be able to even use the force in any meaningful way at all..
- Another Death Star? Cmon man..
- Leia sounds like she has been smoking a carton of cigs a day since RotJ in the movie..
- Ren needs to be evil in a cool way like Vader..you never saw Vader throw a tantrum like Ren did..he just choked bitches out with the force. It's what made him cool.
- Finn is a interesting character..want to see more of his backstory
- The main evil guy snoke looks like Voldemort..
- I swear I thought at first the rebellion pilot leader was Bucky from Captain America..
- Han Solo is still cool..even as a old man. Chewy as well.

All in all, a fun ride, but a lot of the same from the original.

Saw it for the third time today. I went into it convinced Rey is not Luke's daughter. Came out almost convinced she is. She was certainly, in my mind, a Jedi youngling before Luke disappeared. When she faces off with Ren it's not the first time she's held a light saber. My theory would be that she was separated from her family purposely by Luke in order to protect her. Probably only Leah knows who she really is. I think in episode 8 we will see the discussion Rey had with Leah before she takes off in the Falcon. Really, why else would Leah NOT be the one that goes to find Luke? She believes Luke will respond to his daughter more positively than anyone else.
Other thoughts: "the supreme ruler", or whatever he's called is one of the least inventive titles in this whole series. So stupid.
The whole first order is just not done well. The references to the third reich are so unimpressive. It spoils any chance I have of taking them seriously. One of the biggest flaws of this movie.

Saw it on Christmas Eve, it was freakin awesome. I agree that Rey is probably Luke's daughter, but who could the mother be? Looked like that last scene was shot in Western Ireland and the scenery was beautiful. I think the Force is definitely strong in Finn. Overall, I thought the bad guys in this one were not nearly as sinister as Vader or the Emperor and were really kind of weak sauce. I get that Kylo Ren needed to figure out that he was truly evil, and the ginger dude is a total fascist, but the 30 ft. giant seemed kind of lame. I hope he turns out to be a midget when we see him in real life, not just a hologram.

Saw it today. That sure was a moment between Leia and Rey even though they hadn't met. I'm betting Rey is a Skywalker.
Good movie but like was stated here, a total rehash of IV. Desert planet, droid has the plans, save the girl, destroy the Death Star.
3rd time is not the charm for the Death Star, give it up guys.
I read a nerd piece about Ren and his saber. Every Jedi constructs their own saber. Every other Jedi/Sith had a smooth, stable looking saber. Rens is very fuzzy and unstable looking. Much like his personality. He has even less control than Anakin did.

Agree with all of these except Jar Jar, let him rest in peace.

Although I enjoyed the movie, there are so many things that bother me about it. First is this "resistance." Why is a "resistance" necessary when there has been a New Republic established (for like 30 years?) that is naturally tasked to dealing with the remnants of the Empire? Since we saw Ackbar in TFA (wasn't he killed in the books along with his planet being destroyed?), obviously the Mon Calamari are still involved and presumably making Cruisers (big ships from Jedi), so why are we back to a handful of x-wings and a few scrappy freighters again? Oh maybe because the New Republic can be wiped out in just a few minutes so that the plot of the next movies can revert to the "frontier" aspect that some people think was one of the qualities that made the first trilogy better. If the Rebel Alliance can learn of the secret development of the second death star, why can't the New Republic learn of the construction of a friggin 'euge planet killer before it wipes them out? Really poor on the realistic scale here.

The empire apparently also needed a new name in the form of the New Order, no real point to that either.

Definitely would have like to see more development of the jedi academy Luke had started, including its downfall due to Jacen, I mean Kylo Ren. All we got was a holovid similar to that seen in Ep. III when Anakin took out the younglings. Hopefully we'll see some flashbacks when Luke has more of a role in the next two movies. Agree that he has a killer agent (2 personal assistants noted in credits for a non-speaking role), and stylist also. He looked like he could have been a Game of Thrones character!

Probably the worst thing about the plot for me is that WE HAVE SEEN THIS MOVIE ALREADY. Lose a droid on a desert planet, where it is found by a Jedi candidate, who gets involved in an adventure that ends in a visit to the Jungle-world base for the rebelstance and the destruction of a huge planet-killing weapon, and then go ahead and wrap in the beginning of Ep. 5 to send that candidate to a remote planet to seek training from a legendary Jedi Master. Couldn't they have found a way to capture a new generation audience while at the same time giving us older folks something new? During the finale saber battle, I was really hoping for Luke to come swooping in to rescue Rey and deal with Ren in some fashion.

Looking forward to what they do next. Good starting point, but I hope for more originality in the future.

Nostalgia for us original fans, and dejavu for the new ones...

Besides, all sci-fi geeks like to have things rehashed over and over and over - just slightly differently.....see Batman series, Superman, Predator, Star Trek, etc...

Finally saw it tonight and loved it. But then again, I also liked I-III. :eek:

Saw it yesterday with my wife, we both loved it. A couple observations and theories:

1. I thought Han Solo's death was very anticlimactic. My wife cried like a baby afterwards. Harrison Ford is signed on for at least episode 8. I'm thinking a lot of backstory will be told, so they still need Han Solo to do it.

2. Since there was a lot of reused ideas from the first trilogy, is it possible Rey is the daughter of Han Solo and Leia? They separated them at Rey and Kilo at birth? They only thing that doesn't make sense is why they would only keep one child, unless Rey was taken or kidnapped at a young age.

3. Chewie seemed more "human"

4. What? No Lando?

5. They need to film episodes 8 and 9 at the same time.

I think that's all for now.

...2. Since there was a lot of reused ideas from the first trilogy, is it possible Rey is the daughter of Han Solo and Leia? They separated them at Rey and Kilo at birth? They only thing that doesn't make sense is why they would only keep one child, unless Rey was taken or kidnapped at a young age.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia and twin sister of Ben/Kylo. You and I could be wrong, but man it seemed like they were really telegraphing that in the movie. All the facial gestures when Rey was around them.

It is about what I was expecting, actually. My main complaint is that of most people: Too much rehashing of the first movie. I feel like they're trying to draw in new fans while regaining the faith of loyal Star Wars fans, though, so I can forgive it a little. I was way more excited with the imagery and the possibility of the direction in the first few scenes, it had so much potential for a completely new direction. I also thought there was just a little too much attempt at humor in parts, though that was a minor gripe.

I think all of the "improbable" things that people are complaining about need to be thrown out the window. It's Star Wars guys, c'mon. How many nearly impossible things did the characters do in the original trilogy? Rey showed combat ability and a lot of technical knowledge from her scavenger days in the early scenes of the movie. Finn had combat training as a stormtrooper. In the fight at the end, Ren had already been shot by a BOWCASTER before going to fight either Finn or Rey. I feel like pacing is a legitimate gripe, though.

As far as Rey's origins, I think it's likely that she is the child of a Skywalker, but I hope not. I'm kind of tired of the fate of the universe hanging on the lineage of one family. I would actually be more satisfied if she's not related to anybody we know yet.

I hope that they present more and more original material as they move forward, but I was happy with this as a rebirth of the series. The look was right, less cgi, the lightsaber fights were much more "classic," and even if it wasn't perfect at all times, the dialogue and acting were about 1,000x better than the prequels.

As far as Rey's origins, I think it's likely that she is the child of a Skywalker, but I hope not. I'm kind of tired of the fate of the universe hanging on the lineage of one family. I would actually be more satisfied if she's not related to anybody we know yet.

And at least it wasn't all about "The Immaculate Conception", ala EPI...

My wife also suggested that Finn might have The Force. She was under the impression that only someone with The Force is able to wield a light saber. I don't recall there being any such restriction.

I felt that they hinted at Finn being force sensitive in the beginning. While he was still a storm trooper and they were ordered to kill the villagers, afterwards they showed Darth Crybaby acting suspicious of him, he seemed to 'feel' something different about him rather than witness him not following orders. And later knowing he was the traitor before even being told. They mentioned something about his peculiar behavior too, these guys are programmed to be a certain way and something made him deviate.

On the other hand, I could see it that he's just meant to be not much more than Solo's replacement as a comic relief sidekick.

And at least it wasn't all about "The Immaculate Conception", ala EPI...

But if they go the route of Snoke being Plagueis, then maybe the "immaculate conception" ridiculousness can be made to make sense...he learned to manipulate midichlorians so as to create life, according to Palpatine.

FINALLY saw it tonight. (We wanted to wait until our nieces were here so we could see it with them and then endlessly discuss it with them, which worked out great!)

Anyway, I'll echo the comments that some of the character/relationship development seemed a tad rushed but they had a ton of ground to cover here in Act I of this new play, so I'll cut them some slack. I bet the important characters get a lot more developed in the next episode.

I liked how some of the scenes were allowed to be told through the performances (for example, Rey and Ren having the showdown while Rey was strapped to the chair, or the wordless exchange with Luke.) Had this been teh Lucas Ep. I-III storytelling, scenes like that would have been all clunked up with exposition. Other scenes certainly had some exposition, but it didn't bother me too much.

Have to credit the nieces for this one: Han and Leia both obviously know Rey. Han was the one who dropped her off on Jakku when she was a child. She's either a Skywalker, or Leia just recognized her power as a child and had to hide her from Snoke/Rey. Maybe after Rey slaughtered Luke's students. Han used the Falcon as payment to ... someone unknown on Jakku for Rey's protection.

I have to see it again. And again. I might sneak away on Saturday morning to see it.

I too saw this over the holidays and was disappoint.

Too many introductions, IMO. I think the movie would have been better if they had explored more background of, at least, one character.

I did not get any sense that Rey and Ren knew each other. Just that Ren knew she had abilities. Nor did I get any sense that Finn was "force sensitive" because of his use of the saber. Both Han solo and Gen Grivious wielded sabers at other times and nothing indicates they could use force either.

saw it this weekend as well, pretty good. yes, some ideas were re-hashed but i like to think it is a transitional or 'get you over' episode. the second one should be more 'original'. at least, that's my hope, time will tell. i have faith in jj though.

Just saw it with my kids and wife today. There was a fair sized line to see it so I wanted to jokingly pull a Homer Simpson. Nobody waiting responded :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched EPVII again this past weekend with friends. I think it may have been even better the second time around! I noticed a few new things. Still like the new characters a lot. It will be interesting to see where the story goes from here, especially the whole Luke thing.

I'm also wondering how Poe Dameron can be the elite pilot like he is. Could it be The Force? I mean, I watched him flying around Maz Kanata's place after the stormtroopers attacked it and he took out like 8 TIE fighters and shot 2 troopers standing next to Han, and it just seemed a LOT too good to be true. I mean it kinda of make me think that JJ was sitting around a table with the writers like a 12 yo going, "Then POE twists this way and takes out TWO MORE TIE FIGHTERS (PEW PEW) and then he twists this way just in time to take out this guy (PEW!), and then he shoots the troopers standing next to Han and Chewie so they can escape (PEWPEW!) and then he twists back around THIS WAY and takes out a few more TIE FIGHTERS (PEWPEWPEW!!!)

But, I mean... Come on. That scene is a bit too much over the top without The Force helping him out, like Young Annakin and the pod racer.

Watched EPVII again this past weekend with friends. I think it may have been even better the second time around! I noticed a few new things. Still like the new characters a lot. It will be interesting to see where the story goes from here, especially the whole Luke thing.

I'm also wondering how Poe Dameron can be the elite pilot like he is. Could it be The Force? I mean, I watched him flying around Maz Kanata's place after the stormtroopers attacked it and he took out like 8 TIE fighters and shot 2 troopers standing next to Han, and it just seemed a LOT too good to be true. I mean it kinda of make me think that JJ was sitting around a table with the writers like a 12 yo going, "Then POE twists this way and takes out TWO MORE TIE FIGHTERS (PEW PEW) and then he twists this way just in time to take out this guy (PEW!), and then he shoots the troopers standing next to Han and Chewie so they can escape (PEWPEW!) and then he twists back around THIS WAY and takes out a few more TIE FIGHTERS (PEWPEWPEW!!!)

But, I mean... Come on. That scene is a bit too much over the top without The Force helping him out, like Young Annakin and the pod racer.

"And he's got the force! And this guy too! EVERYONE HAS THE FORCE!"

I thought the same thing. Also, its another example of this episode repeating themes and sometimes the exact same plot from earlier episodes.

While reading about an alternate ending to the Return of the Jedi, I came across a claim that George Lucas stated that, with focus, anybody is capable of using the force. The only reference I'm finding is in this link (number 3 on the list). http://gizmodo.com/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-star-wars-ret-1383276948/1388764126

Whoa...

FB_IMG_1452110785680.jpg

If Snoke is a random new bad guy, this is gonna get weird. Rey is a Skywalker. In all the books Han has twins.

The only scene missing from this rehash - when she's climbing down to reach the ship and escape - she should have swung across on a line from her utility belt. Thus using every image from ep 4.

Saw the movie with the kids over break, just now getting around to adding my thoughts (many of which have already been expressed by others):

The actors playing Rey and Finn were absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine how anyone could have done any better in those roles.

The Ren character came off as a bit of a simpering whiny-butt; but then again, perhaps I went in there expecting another full-fledged Vader after seeing trailers. After a lot of reflection, I like the character and the way he was played. He displayed the pathos that Hayden Craptiansen was completely unable to.

Carrie Fisher clearly did not age nearly as well as did Harrison Ford. Can't yet say about Hamill, though he was smart to grow that beard to hide his crippled face.

Chewie was so damned likable in this movie!

The 40-foot CGI Snoke. First off, that name sucks. Secondly, just stop, Stop, STOP! already with the CGI flesh-and-blood characters intermingling with real actors. It didn't work in Ep 1-3, it didn't work in Lucas' mangling of the original trilogy, it didn't work in any of the Avengers movies, it didn't work in any of the LOTR or Hobbit movies, it just doesn't work (yet). CGI robots, ships, guys in armor suits, OK, maybe. It kinda worked in the full-CGI world of Avatar (until they had scenes with blue folk AND humans in them). Maybe it's good enough for video games or for SciFi original movies, but that kind of technology just isn't here yet for real movies, stop pretending it is.

This movie kinda straddled the line between "reboot" and "remake." I can certainly see why it mirrored the original movies so much...kids today have been HEARING about how great it was to see Ep4 in the theater from their parents for over 30yrs, now they've seen it for themselves. I really like how they managed to keep the dry humor going in this one (instead of just the "dry," like in Ep 1-3). I am really looking forward to more...but I swear I will stop watching if Rey turns out to be the midichlorian-sired, immaculate-conception offspring of Leia's womb (or of Luke's...something...let's not go there!)

So here's something my son came up with: throughout the movie they should have been referring to the data carried in the droids simply as a "clue" to Luke's whereabouts. Then near the end, when the projection is shown, they should have had Admiral Akbar say, "it's a map!" That would have brought down the house!

I agree with your thoughts on Ren. People give him a lot of crap, but he's definitely a badass for his age and level of training, and especially after taking a shot from that insane boltgun Chewie had. I liked his character a lot, even if he was a bit angsty teeny still. Looking forward to seeing what he's like as a full-on Sith instead of just trainee next movie.

Why did you mind Snoke's hologram, though? At first I thought he was actually a giant at first and thought WTF, but once I realized it was a hologram just meant to inspire awe to his troops there it was great in my opinion. Made him very ominous and (i feel) he's clearly normal size and it was just the tech being a large hologram.

Latest posts

Back