The difference in jaggery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had purchased two different cones of jaggery sugar at one of the local indian markets. Both of them turned out to be cane sugar through and through. Today I was there looking around to see if among all their different packages of jaggery if I could find one listing "palm" as the ingredient.

I ended up leaving with two half sphere shaped hunks with the name "Kitul Jaggery" on the package. Listed as palm creacle as the ingredients. This stuff is a few order of magnitude darker than the other sugar I have. It was more expensive than the other stuff at $3.69 but it's cheaper than the site I pulled the pic of the dark stuff from. This will be used in a future tripel or RIS.

For funzies here's links to examples of what I have. Top is the palm stuff I just bought today and bottom is the shade of the cane jaggery I already have. I asked the Indian guy at the counter how to tell the difference and he said basically that it should say palm in order for it to be palm. I guess color is not a determining factor?

http://www.organicfacts.net/nutrition-facts/others/what-is-jaggery.html

Kitul_Jaggery.jpg

jaggery.jpg

Whoah that stuff on top is ridiculously dark. I can only get the paler stuff, but it certainly has a ton of flavor anyway. Brew 2 batches, same recipe except one with the darker and one with the lighter.

Back