Kegging and Co2 First time HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntaskate42

Reaction score
So i just kegged my first beer today and from what i read on the charts i droped the temp to 62 degrees and put about 26 psi into the keg because thats the psi it said to do at that temp. I have the keg in the fridge getting colder should i lower the psi in the keg as it gets colder or should i just leave it at 26 psi and let it sit and carbonate for the next couple days? this is my first time so any advice would be appreciated.....

62 is too warm to efficiently carb your beer.

Get it to your desired serving temp (for me that's around 37-40 degrees), set your PSI to 30 and give it 36 hours.

At that point, kill the gas, release the excess pressure and draw a sample. It will probably be slightly under-carb'd, but you can easily get it to proper levels by returning it to higher pressures and checking every 4-6 hours.

well it was at 62 when i induced Co2 its at about 44 degrees now should i drop it down now or let it sit for a day and let out all the pressure?

A good ballpark and lazy way to get there is to stick the keg in the fridge or kegerator, hook up the CO2 at serving pressure (around 10 psi, or your preference) let is sit for a week to carb up and condition, and dont forget - RDWHAHB in the meanwhile.

This is my method and it forces me to allow the beer to age properly without me drinking it all at 3 weeks old.

so its at about 56 degrees i dropped the psi to about 15 because i know the temp is going to drop. The temp in the fridge is at 38 so im guessing this should be an ok psi assuming the temp of the keg will drop down to about 42 or 43 tonight Thx for the help i didnt want to leave it at 26 psi and have it 42 degrees and over carbonate :D

Back