Dry hopped wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth68

Reaction score
So, I was doing my third and fourth all grain batches last weekend....and the first non-kit brews I have done in my short brewing career.

I had a little oopsie.

I pitched the wrong yeast into the beers.

Fortunately, they should both work out for what they are.

I was brewing Waynes blue moon clone, and a cheap American heffweizenish beer.

The heff was a even split of 2 row and white wheat and Hallertau hops (1 oz).

The blue moon clone got danstar munich instead of s-05.

The wheat beer had S-05.

Now, I think the blue moonenstine will be interesting...and I am kinda eagerly awaiting sampling that experiment (if it's good, I'll call it Castle Moonenstine).

The American wheat ale, however, has drinkable but boring written all over it IMHO.

I have been enjoying some hopped up wheats lately, and wonder what the brain trust thinks of me trying my hand at dry hopping this one?

If so, what hops....more Halleratau? Citra?

It has only been in primary a week, so I have plenty of time to get anything...

Thanks,

Gary

I'm mostly concerned over what will play well with the Halleratau as I do not have enough experience to know.

1 oz of hallertau was likely added at the front of the boil, and will probably have little to no impact on hop aroma and flavour. Regardless, it would be overwhelmed by big bold American hops in the dry hop.

Have you tried 80 Acre by Boulevard? Nice hoppy wheat beer!

If that yeast is going to impart a banana flavor I'm not sure what would go well, but might go with an earthy/floral hop, if not maybe a citrusy hop. But I'd certainly dry hop it for more character!

fwiw, I've hit on a wheat recipe that starts with a little Magnum followed by Hallertauer and EKG and ends with two ounces of Mosaic dry hops.
Good stuff...

Cheers!

1 oz of hallertau was likely added at the front of the boil, and will probably have little to no impact on hop aroma and flavour. Regardless, it would be overwhelmed by big bold American hops in the dry hop.

I did 3/4 oz @ 90 and 1/4 oz @ 15

Have you tried 80 Acre by Boulevard? Nice hoppy wheat beer!

If that yeast is going to impart a banana flavor I'm not sure what would go well, but might go with an earthy/floral hop, if not maybe a citrusy hop. But I'd certainly dry hop it for more character!

The yeast is us-05 so no esters, I'm fermenting @ 67 degrees.

I love 80 acre....and tank 7 as well.

I was actually looking at an 80 acre bottle on my counter when I thought about trying my hand at dry hopping.

:mug:

It's great right?! I love the stuff!

As you used Hallertau as the flavor also I'd likely find something that goes well with it or more of it.

Back