Mashed Low, what should I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I put an AHS Double Chocolate Stout kit in the mash this morning before taking my boy to school. Since I was a little rushed, I ended up getting the mashed too low of a temp. The good news is that my MLT kept the temp to within 1°F. The bad news is that it mashed at 148°F. So, what should I expect from this beer? I'm assuming a low FG and probably a little bit of an alcohol heat. Can I tone that down a bit? Should I bring the IBUs down a little in the boil? Thanks!

Relax. It is going to be a good beer. Mouth feel will be a little lighter. What was your mash temp supposed to be?

This gives you a chance to experiment and brew it again at the higher temp. You then know how a few degrees in temp affect the beer.

I'd bring the ibu's down by five maybe. This happened to me on my last batch because I didn't correctly compensate for the temperature for pumpkin and rice hulls in the mash. I hit 145°. I did a decoction to bring it up to 151°, but that took 45 minutes. Still I got 76% attenuation out of wlp002. Not sure if that helps answer your question...

I had a Pale Ale that mashed at 149 where I meant it to be in the nid 150s. It finished rather dry but I added some maltodextrine in boiled water at bottling time and that seemed to have compensated the body somewhat.

It was still a great beer.

Alcohol heat comes from higher fermentation temperatures that cause overly rigorous & rapid fermentation.

As has been said...the beer will be a bit dryer, but it is, what it is. Enjoy. :mug:

I may be somewhat of a contrarian, but I like 148F-151F. I haven't mashed above 152F in years (I just don't make the styles that need it). I think you'll like it.

Latest posts

Back