BeerSmith Est. Pre-Boil Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
If my efficiency is set at 65%, why does BrewSmith estimated pre-boil gravity come in at an estimated brew efficiency of 78%?

I have a recipe that has an 8.4 gallon pre-boil volume. The software is set at 65%, so why would it give me an estimate for SG 1.056 when it should be around 1.047?

Will my post boil SG come around to my needs or will that come out too low also?

I struggled with this as first, it's a little counter intuitive. In Beersmith you set the total brewhouse efficiency, not the mash efficiency. You need to keep upping the brewhouse efficiency until your mash efficiency is at the correct value, and I think you need to save the recipe to get it to re-calculate mash efficiency each time. I really wish he'd get rid of brewhouse efficiency and let you directly input your expected mash efficiency.

You can also set all the post-boil losses (trub, chiller, etc.) to zero and that should make the mash efficiency match the brewhouse efficiency.

Back