(Yet another thread for) Accidental pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
I had put a mead (Forgot the OG and FG) into a secondary with some oak chips that I apparently either forgot to sanitize, or only sanitized with vodka, rather than boiling water.

It wasn't a long secondary (a month or two) but I wanted to get it out of a plastic HDPE jug and into glass and I saw that it had a thick, gelatinous/waxy layer on the top which I assume was a Brett pellicle brought on by what was on the oak chips. (Could be from other stuff, but the ciders that were next to it in the same processes with no chips didn't have any such layer).

Since I didn't find a sticky and I haven't seen this in any of the threads yet that I found (which probably means the information is in the other threads I haven't looked at yet) my questions are this:

1: Now that I've removed most of the liquid (still tasted good, but no hint of sour since it was a pretty short process), should I keep the pellicle for anything? Transfer it to purposely infect something? Or just toss it and buy brett if I ever mean to create a sour. (Or just infect something by tossing in oak again.)

2: Most threads outside of here have said to toss any plastic equipment and sanitize the heck out of the rest. I assume this is valid in this case, but I could optionally separate these if I were to continue a sour per https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/how-dangerous-bretts-really-196716/

3: Anyone making any stickys for info on sours?

Back