The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious - what kind of cheese & cured meat product is that? The cheese... does not look appetizing in that pic. The meat looks to be heated up due to the curling, but it didn't crisp on the edges.

Also... no colour on the crust except where it burnt.

How did you cook this???

:confused:

Cheese is italian buffalo mozzarela. Meat is some kind of salami made by a local farmer, not really sure what it is, but it is good :) It was cooked on my glass cooktop, in a special pan im developing. Cook time 4 minutes.

What about this one? Made in the same way, without an oven, cook time 4 minutes. With local sausage and mozzarela / gauda mix.

pizza_making1280.jpg

Pizza_in_ironate.jpg

oven_spring.jpg

It was cooked on my glass cooktop, in a special pan im developing. Cook time 4 minutes.

This is really interesting. In the summer, and some fall and spring as well, it is way too hot for the oven to be on. I grill our pizza, but sometimes it seems silly to take 30 minutes to get the charcoal ready for <10 minutes of use.

I've got a 12" cast iron skillet & a CI dutch oven with lid that should be good for this...& a 3,600W induction stove/ convection oven.

Have you already shared details on your crust and technique?

Not sure what recipe they uses but I get good results like that with a recipe I found that is all by weight.

500G bread or pizza flour
325G water
3G yeast
10G salt

I mix the flour and water in my kitchen aid until combined and let it rest for 10 to 20 minutes. Then add the yeast and knead with a dough hook for a couple minutes. Last I add the salt and let the kitchen aid run for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough gets a good stretch. I put it in a big bowl with some cooking spray, cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for a couple days.

Made a veggie. Half high gluten, half regular bread flour... And don't ask why the IPA looks like a hef. Ha. Beer from the same wort as the dough, couldn't wait for it to clear.

What do you mean the same wort as the dough?

I ran extra wort from that ipa and used it in place of water for the dough. It can leave a bit of sweetness and help the crust get crispy, the flavor comes thru, if you don't believe me try using a stout... (Do not try a stout!)

And to be fair the cons are that you give the yeast sugars to interfere with the fermentables in the flour and it can make your dough a bit stickier...

Have you already shared details on your crust and technique?

No... Was I supposed to? Basic New York style crust from the pizza bible; 10g Diastatic malt. Double stones in convection oven at 550.

No... Was I supposed to? Basic New York style crust from the pizza bible; 10g Diastatic malt. Double stones in convection oven at 550.

You don't have to. I was just curious if you had so that I wouldn't go searching through the thread trying to find it. Thanks!

You don't have to. I was just curious if you had so that I wouldn't go searching through the thread trying to find it. Thanks!

Oh sorry I guess that sounded kind of rude. I just wasn't sure if there was some rules in the forum that you were supposed to post information about your technique and ingredients. I've got some Neopolitan dough in the works for this weekend. I will post pics and additional information assuming they turn out good [emoji16]

Oh sorry I guess that sounded kind of rude. I just wasn't sure if there was some rules in the forum that you were supposed to post information about your technique and ingredients. I've got some Neopolitan dough in the works for this weekend. I will post pics and additional information assuming they turn out good [emoji16]

No problem!

Most pizza dough recipes are pretty similar. The last batch I made used bread flour and had a 3 day rise in the fridge, and it turned out much better than usual. So when I see good pics, I am always curious if there is anything different about the recipe. (Like yours has diastatic malt.)

When you use two stones, does that mean on separate shelves with the pizza on the bottom one?

I ran extra wort from that ipa and used it in place of water for the dough. It can leave a bit of sweetness and help the crust get crispy, the flavor comes thru, if you don't believe me try using a stout... (Do not try a stout!)

How did you save the wort that long? I mean, I am assuming that it took a few weeks to finish the beer. Frozen?

I use a couple of TB of DME when I make dough - mix it in warm water, add yeast and let it proof. There is a slight taste from it.

No problem!

Most pizza dough recipes are pretty similar. The last batch I made used bread flour and had a 3 day rise in the fridge, and it turned out much better than usual. So when I see good pics, I am always curious if there is anything different about the recipe. (Like yours has diastatic malt.)

When you use two stones, does that mean on separate shelves with the pizza on the bottom one?

I start the pizza on the top stone to cook and then move it to the raging hot bottom stone for the last few minutes to crisp up the bottom. This is Tony Gemignani's technique, not my creation. His theory is that it simulates moving a pizza in a real stone oven to a hot spot for the last few minutes for the same purpose; to crisp up the bottom. Works quite well!

OK, just got done cleaning up after tonight's pizza "party"! I was trying to get all the pics of the steps in order, but things happen, yknow? So, take them for what they are... here's the first, a mushroom, pepperoni, & extra cheese pie.

12" dough-round, and some home-made sauce:
d793jjR.jpg

Fresh out of the oven, no flash, ****ty pic...
VeBbAtI.jpg

This is what the pizza pan looked like 2 minutes after slicing it:
BrtvjMa.jpg

The dough was made with some home-brewed beer, turned out a little heavy, but not really:
uP0zqzk.jpg

The upskirt:
pQRMD9z.jpg

On to pie #2, an all-pepperoni pie. Hey, we keep it simple here!

14" of dough!
6Ma56ow.jpg

Fresh out of the oven, and sooo pretty!
OKMHRiL.jpg

I love the way the pepperoni curls up into these little grease-chalices:
paOILv9.jpg

had I sliced another inch over, the spring would have shown so much better...
eBZ71RN.jpg

This is all that is left over from only three people:
1aMxDbx.jpg

Leftovers for later!

:D

How did you save the wort that long? I mean, I am assuming that it took a few weeks to finish the beer. Frozen?

I use a couple of TB of DME when I make dough - mix it in warm water, add yeast and let it proof. There is a slight taste from it.

Wellllll... No that was almost a month old and questionable. I live life on the edge. I just fill canning jars and let them seal in the fridge. That was the last bit. I feel like they don't go down hill until about 2 weeks. Keeping it 4 weeks is just remnants from being raised by a depression era father.
DME certainly works too. I just like comparing the wort from different styles.

00 is un-malted and lower protein than bread flour. It really likes extremely high temps like in a wood-fired oven. Most folks are disappointed with the results when used in a regular oven. Some like to mix it with high protein flour but I never have, so I don't really know how it performs.

00 is un-malted and lower protein than bread flour. It really likes extremely high temps like in a wood-fired oven. Most folks are disappointed with the results when used in a regular oven. Some like to mix it with high protein flour but I never have, so I don't really know how it performs.

I didn't realize it was unmalted. Is there a need to adjust recipe or process otherwise. I learned from a more knowledgeable friend why I had been disappointed myself like you mention above. It also seems to absorb liquid better, right?

The problem can be solved by adding 2% sugar or 0.25% diastatic (enzyme active) malt powder to your dough formulation. Either of these additions will provide sufficient fermentable sugar to support fermentation for up to a week in the cooler. They will also aid in crust color development if you bake the pizzas at temperatures lower than those encountered in wood-fired ovens.

The problem can be solved by adding 2% sugar or 0.25% diastatic (enzyme active) malt powder to your dough formulation. Either of these additions will provide sufficient fermentable sugar to support fermentation for up to a week in the cooler. They will also aid in crust color development if you bake the pizzas at temperatures lower than those encountered in wood-fired ovens.

Lower protein means less chewy, right? So you want protein to keep it together.

So why go to the trouble of using expensive flour that you modify? Why would it be better than bread flour?

I didn't modify it. I used water, flour, salt, and yeast and made some killer pies.

00 Makes all the difference! Pie looks delicious!

Under "Nutritional Facts" on the Antimo Caputo "00" 1kg pkg (2.2 lbs.) it says:
Serving size: 1/4c (30 g)
Servings per container: 45

Does anyone know how these numbers could be accurate?

45x 30g = 1350g (per kg) but that can't be correct....

Do I fail math class again?

What I really don't understand is how it can be so wrong
and yet never be noticed
& never corrected.

Did you notice it?

004_zpsj4r0ass7.jpg

... [2% sugar or 0.25% diastatic (enzyme active) malt powder] will also aid in crust color development if you bake the pizzas at temperatures lower than those encountered in wood-fired ovens.

What are the (other) differences between baking at low temps vs. high temps?
Since I am trying to catch-up, I invite an exhaustive list of differences!

Back