Lent sucks when you give up beer, and begin to obsess about beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popecrisco

Reaction score
Well, for lent I gave up drinking quantity over quality, so Instead of drinking 24 or so adjunct beers m-th plus craft drafts at a local pub on the weekend, I have limited myself to 12 beers a week, all be it 12 craft beers. and it's going well overall thus far, to the point i will likely continue after the religious observance with an additional beer ration on the weekend nights.

the practice has made me a beer taster more than a beer drinker (i believe) and has led me to this hobby of brewing.

But ive spent all day thinking about brewing, and with a lackluster night ahead im continuing to think about beer in general,which makes me want to drink beer, but i want to ration till the weekend. It is a vicious cycle.

Maybe i wouldn't have so much want of drink if the television was on something other than "what to wear."

no hockey and no beer make pope crisco something something.

boredom and obsession are not a good combo.
oh well, just exercising some desire.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know anything about your situation as I've been on a beer only diet for the last 15 years. :drunk:

Meh, quitcha whining, at least you gave it up voluntarily (which honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, so you're a sucka. ;))

I haven't had a drop since the weekend before my surgery over a month ago, and prolly won't be able to for at least another month....

So get over it....
neener.gif

Meh, quitcha whining, at least you gave it up voluntarily (which honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, so you're a sucka. ;))

I haven't had a drop since the weekend before my surgery over a month ago, and prolly won't be able to for at least another month....

So get over it....
neener.gif

the sobering aspect of perspective. touche.

I gave up beer in it's entirety for the month of December. I lost 11 lbs and have never brewed so much in such a short span.

I admire your commitment, but I'm with the Reverend on this one. Drink, and be happy.

Use this time to brew like crazy. You'll have beer or two ready to drink and more in the pipeline by Easter.

All you goyum's have it so wrong... You're still paying retail for 'forgiveness'... :D 40 days... BAH!! For us, one day and we're good for another year. :rockin:

BTW, you didn't say what SIZE each brew was to be... Sounds like you need to get some 1L bottles there Bubba... :ban:

All you goyum's have it so wrong... You're still paying retail for 'forgiveness'... :D 40 days... BAH!! For us, one day and we're good for another year. :rockin:

BTW, you didn't say what SIZE each brew was to be... Sounds like you need to get some 1L bottles there Bubba... :ban:

Yeah, I played Lawyer Salvation on Sat :D

and the sad thing is that my pals are slacking on the bottle supply end, I need like 30 more bottles.. better have a beer.. just one though..

Be sure to make it a good one!

It's a good idea IMHO, to give adjunct beers anyway. Life's too short to drink crappy beers.

I also gave up beer for Lent, no craft beer, no homebrew, no BMC, it was pretty boring around here for a few days, then I remembered..... I have a fully stocked bar in my house!!! Nothing like a nice Makers Mark Manhattan after a hard day at work!! :D

**Tonight I am enjoying a snifter of Mount Gay 'Extra Old' rum, last pour from the 1L bottle, oh wait, I shipped back 4 cases last time I was in Barbados. time to go dig through the storage closet!**

By the way guys, did anyone ever stop to realize that Monks actually drank beer during Lent as a replacement for the meat they gave up?!?

Heck there was even a style of beer brewed for lent.

"Doppelbock emerged in the late eighteenth century as a powerful lager variant of the old monastic strong beer, the monks' "liquid bread," which they traditionally brewed for the Lenten season. Living by the strict rules of their order, the monks were regularly required to castigate themselves by periodic bouts of fasting, when next to no solid food was allowed to pass their lips. The longest and most taxing of these periods of culinary abstinence was, of course, Lent, the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. Because the monks believed that liquids not only cleansed the body but also the soul, they would make plenty of liquid instead of solid bread from their grain, and then drink it in copious quantities...the more, the holier. Because the monks were society's role models in those religious times...as did the monks so did the common folk. The secular verson of the sacred strong bier was called a Bockbier.

The first Lenten strong beer was brewed by Paulaner monks at Cloister Neudeck ob der Au in Munich. The Paulaners had arrived in Munich from Italy in 1627. They began brewing beer for their own comsumption shortly thereafter—exactly when is not clear. Depending on which documents one can trust, the year was 1630, 1651 or 1670. The Paulaners felt, however, that such a strong brew with such delightful qualities might be just a bit too much of an indulgence for Lent. So they decided to ask the Holy Father in Rome for a special dispensation so that they could continued to brew it with a clear conscience. The Paulaners dispatched a cask of Lenten beer to Rome for the pope to try and to pass judgment. During its transport across the Alps and along the burning sun of Italy, unfortunately—or fortunately—the cask tossed and turned, and heated for several weeks—a classic condition for causing beer to turn sour and undrinkable. So when the Holy Father tasted the much-praised stuff from Munich, he found it (appropriately) disgusting. His decision: Because the brew was so vile, it was probably beneficial for the souls of the Munich monks to make and drink as much of it as they could. Therefore, he willingly gave the brewing of this new, allegedly rotten, beer style his blessing. Little did he know..."

From http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Doppelbock.html

I'll say it again, giving up beer for lent is for suckahs. ;)

So get over it....
neener.gif

damn... (*feels pain). i knew you had surgery, but i didn't even think about you not being able to drink beer. sorry about that revvy, but think about how good that beer will taste when you get that first one in a month! at least you didn't have to give it up forever. any thoughts as to what your first one will be?

damn... (*feels pain). i knew you had surgery, but i didn't even think about you not being able to drink beer. sorry about that revvy, but think about how good that beer will taste when you get that first one in a month! at least you didn't have to give it up forever. any thoughts as to what your first one will be?

Well a couple guys on here want to send me some beers of theirs. But I'm dying to try this beer of mine that I bottled just before surgery Ginger Snap Brown Ale.

I just hope the ginger hasn't peaked before I get to try it.

Who knows though, I might get the itch for something special, it prolly depends on what I stumble on here a day or two before I can start drinking. Someone will mention something and I'll want that instead.

Wait a minute. Did I read right?? The OP said he did NOT give up beer for lent, just limiting himself to 12 beers a week??

Dude that is tearible! [insert eyeroll smiley here]. (We REALLY need an eyeroll smiley!)

um... try looking in the "more" section, when you "go advanced" :rolleyes:

Edit: (this is a joke, not really makin fun)

Wait a minute. Did I read right?? The OP said he did NOT give up beer for lent, just limiting himself to 12 beers a week??

Dude that is tearible! [insert eyeroll smiley here]. (We REALLY need an eyeroll smiley!)

Oh my god, the M&%$erf@#%#r, I never even caught that....I think he gets elevated to whiny biatch status...and gets the smallest violin award.

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

:)

On a different note, I dreamt I was in a beer store last night, but I could never seem to get anything. I couldn't reach any of the bottles. :(

Seriously! Talk about a "Lent Fail"!!! Shaking my head at the absurdity of this...

Yeah, I know its a lame way to practice lent. But being as I’m only catholic by marriage, and agnostic by practice, and this is done for her instead of Him, I think I’m okay.

Perhaps I should have de emphasized the lent aspect of the post. Oh well.

I have limited myself to 12 beers a week, all be it 12 craft beers. and it's going well overall thus far, to the point i will likely continue after the religious observance with an additional beer ration on the weekend nights.

Stop whining you tool.

_

Yeah, I know its a lame way to practice lent. But being as I’m only catholic by marriage, and agnostic by practice, and this is done for her instead of Him, I think I’m okay.

Perhaps I should have de emphasized the lent aspect of the post. Oh well.

By definition there is nothing to practice if you are an agnostic, but since you are practicing lent you aren't agnostic either (again, back to the defintion).

You are actually a practicing catholic, you are just REALLY bad at it!!:D

Seriously though, why bother to do it in the first place?

Lent is about personal sacrifice, so why does it matter to your wife that you give something up for Lent? Also, as a self-proclaimed agnostic, you are being untrue to your self (in a sense) because you by practicing Lent you are doing something that you don't put any stock into.

Secondly, does your wife see this as an actually personal sacrifice on your part? I mean, C'mon....you aren't fooling anyone around here! I would consider a a craft-brew only scheme as an upgrade to my quality of life, not a sacrifice. Its like saying that I'm going to give up hamburger and only eat filet mignon instead.

Yeah, you are giving up some of your drinking, but that is more of a Lenten diet, not a Lenten sacrifice.

I think tomorrow I'll take the wife to a really nice brewpub and drink a couple of very nice beers in honor of Crisco's personal sacrifice! To Crisco! :mug:

Latest posts

Back