There's something wrong with my process - need info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamnave

Reaction score
OK. I'm measuring once-twice a week tracking fermentation. I do not own a hydrometer, I am using a refractometer.

I have seen this with the last several beers. I am using the refractometer tool in BeerSmith to correct Brix for the presence of alcohol.

Latest example is an IIPA. OG was 1.089. In a week it was 16.3 Bx. 5 more days, it hit 12.9. At 12.9Bx BeerSmith said corrected FG was 1.029, so I figured I'm nearing the bottom. Let a week pass, now it's 15.9.

WTF?

I've had this happen since I started using a refractometer, so I'm sure it's something I'm doing. I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

help?

OK. I'm measuring once-twice a week tracking fermentation. I do not own a hydrometer, I am using a refractometer.

I have seen this with the last several beers. I am using the refractometer tool in BeerSmith to correct Brix for the presence of alcohol.

Latest example is an IIPA. OG was 1.089. In a week it was 16.3 Bx. 5 more days, it hit 12.9. At 12.9Bx BeerSmith said corrected FG was 1.029, so I figured I'm nearing the bottom. Let a week pass, now it's 15.9.

WTF?

I've had this happen since I started using a refractometer, so I'm sure it's something I'm doing. I just can't figure it out for the life of me.

help?

IIRC, even the ATC refractometers require calibration AND operation within the specified ambient temperature range. Is it possible you calibrated it at one temperature, and subsequent readings were taken at different temperatures outside that range?

When I got my refractometer I checked gravities with it and compared to my hydrometer. It worked great before there was alcohol but not so great after. I used beersmith to correct the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol and it was not even close to what the hydrometer read. Now, I use the refractometer for all measurements before the yeast is pitched. After that I use a hydrometer.

I hear you guys on the ....buy a hydrometer......side of the argument.

I guess the pragmatist/cheapskate in me just wants to do the job with the tools I already have, rather than add another.

Also, I can't help but wonder why does BeerSmith have a tool that seems essentially useless??

Yeah, I've found the same thing with my refractometer. I was hoping I could put my hydrometer away for a rainy day and just use the refractometer, but it never turned out that way once fermentation was underway. It doesn't seem to be just the alcohol though, I've also had trouble with hop trub and yeast in solution throwing off readings as well. It might be that the conversion formula works great with a perfectly clear solution, but how likely is that to happen? :)

My LHBS confirmed that a refractometer is not a all-in-one tool.

The good news is, that I bought a narrow-range ultra accurate hydrometer for taking final gravity calc's

What the hell, no reason to stop adding gadgets now. :mug:

When I got my refractometer I checked gravities with it and compared to my hydrometer. It worked great before there was alcohol but not so great after. I used beersmith to correct the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol and it was not even close to what the hydrometer read. Now, I use the refractometer for all measurements before the yeast is pitched. After that I use a hydrometer.

Ditto. Refracts are great pre-fermentation and pretty much useless after.

I hear you guys on the ....buy a hydrometer......side of the argument.

I guess the pragmatist/cheapskate in me just wants to do the job with the tools I already have, rather than add another.

The problem is that a refractometer is really a pretty poor tool for measuring specific gravity of anything other than a sucrose and water solution. It works well enough on wort to be useful if you are willing to accept lower accuracy for faster readings (eg, during sparging).

Also, I can't help but wonder why does BeerSmith have a tool that seems essentially useless??

Homebrewers are big fans of using crude models to estimate things that can be measured directly. I wonder why as well.

Back