Pacman question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyf

Reaction score
I've been using some bottle-cultured pacman (from a mocha porter) and it does exhibit all the characteristics of pacman that I've read about. It ferments well at low temperatures (like 60-63F), it is powdery, low to no ester profile. I pitch appropriately sized starters too, so I don't think that's the problem (I use the mrmalty calculator, generally).

The question I have is about how long it takes to ferment - it usually takes about two weeks to clear and darken. I generally ferment it low for 7-10 days (around 60-64F) and after the krausen has dropped I bump it up to around 70 to finish it off. But still it tends to take around two weeks. Is this normal? I wouldn't call myself worried, because it produces lovely beer, but I am curious if this is normal pacman behavior.

Thanks to all

You are doing everything correctly and I would not fix anything that is not broken. You can hot rush fermentation. It's nature.

Awesome. Thanks. I think it's sort of the nature of the homebrewer to analyze every observation and then tinker with it... teh tinkering is an impulse I have to fight.

But right you are, it's nature.

I'm using a batch of store bought pacman in a stout right now, and it's still poppin the airlock on the primary at 14 days.

I have some fermenting an American hefe right now at 53-55*F. It has been bubbling steadily for four dys now. I started out at a fairly low OG of 1.046 so it probably won't take two weeks. Generally I have thought the pacman is a slower fermenter though. My Belgian yeast usually finish up in two or three days with much higher OGs.

Back