cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
can anyone give pros or cons on non-immersion wort chillers in regards to potential of cold break in the primary-- is that a major problem or bad?

If you mean what techniques do we use to lower the temperature quickly, then thats easy: I dont do a full boil, I have about 2-3 gallons in the pot. the pot is placed into a sink with ice, salt and cold water. I use all the ice in ice dispenser (from freezer), but you could use a whole bag. Once its about 110 or so, I pour it into the primary, slosh in cold water (usually here its 65 degrees); the final temperature when I did this last week was under 65 because the tap water now is closer to 60 degrees. So I could pitch right away; I usually waited overnight, but this is the first time I took a temp reading.
Very easy and no risk of contamination.

can anyone give pros or cons on non-immersion wort chillers in regards to potential of cold break in the primary-- is that a major problem or bad?

This is what I ended up with last time using my counterflow chiller...
DSC_0027.jpg

I have had a few good cold breaks like that in the last few batches... Doesn't seem to affect the final product...

Many have posted that cold break into the fermenter causes no ill effects at all. I haven't had any problems either. The "stuff" will settle out pretty quickly in the primary...

Latest posts

Back