Please critique my parti-gyle weizenbock/wit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEBrewer

Reaction score
This will be my 1st parti-gyle and my 1st AG wheat beer.

Grain bill

wheat malt 14lbs
cara munich malt 4lbs
carapils/dextrin 1.5lbs
corn sugar 1lbs

1st 50% = Wiezenbock
I want to add 1 cup of molasses. (no real reason, just never tried it and want to boost the gravity for this one a little.)

I expect an OG of 1.075 after boil.
0.5oz of liberty hops at 60,45,30,15 minutes and at flame out.
wyeast 3068 liquid

IBU=28 SRM=15

2nd 50% Wit beer.
I expect an OG of 1.048 after boil. I plan on treating this like a typical wit beer. (corriander and orange peel)

0.5oz hallertau at 60min
1oz tettanger at 30min
0.5oz hallertau at 15min
1oz saaz at flameout.

IBu=24 SRM=? program shows this higher srm than the wiezenbock.

Munich german wheat beer yeast dry.

The original recipe I was working from was for wheat LME and some grain. My LHBS said just use wheat like I list above. They said not to make 40% of the wheat malt portion 2row barley instead since apparently wheat lme is a mixture of wheat/barley 40%/60%.

They recommended 1lbs of rice hulls to make sure I get a good filter bed when I sparge.

My question is should I use some barley in place of wheat?
Also any general input about the recipe would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This is for 10 gal. I have a 10gal mash/lauter tun and 14 gal boil capacity.

I would go with 40% pilsner or two row, wheat can be used as 100% of the grist but it will make lautering trickier (even with the rice hulls) because of the high protein content. 5.5 lbs of cara/crystal malt is more than I would use, 1 lb of caramunich should be fine, all that crystal will make for a sticky sweet beer.

I don't see wit/weizenbock as being especially compatible for a parti-gyle. I would suggest going dunkelweizen/weizenbock as they are both traditionally brewed with malted wheat (wits tend to use just pils, unmalted wheat and sometimes oats) and some Munich malt, crystal, and dark roasted malt (like carafa). You certainly could do a wit and weizenbock off the same mash, but you won't be able to get a standard version of both.

Hope that helps, good luck brewing.

Back