homebrewing for new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to this whole thing also, but I personally do not like bucket fermentors because you can not see anything and they get damaged with use. The plastic over a couple years will get scored and require replacement. I would personally have selected a glass carboy for this reason. They are a little harder to clean, but you get to enjoy watching and you will have it for ever if you take good care of it. Of course glass does break where as plastic does not, so that is the down fall.

I think the Austin kit is better since it comes with a auto-siphon and a hydrometer. The auto-siphon makes tranfering to a secondary much easier than sucking on the end. Also the hydrometer is a must have. As for the secondary, I have choosen glass, but the better bottle is just as nice and will not break, so it is pure choice. For a beginner kit trying to get into home brewing the Austin kit is better in my view.

As for the tower, this is used when you brew with kegs, also known as Sanke, for the brand the keg is. This is for mashing grains and making your wort to turn into wonderful beer. If you are just starting out, you do not need this.....yet! :)

Get the one from Austin Homebrew and you can upgrade to a better bottle later (not glass) if you like the hobby. Glass is heavy, slick and can cut you. I didn't see a hydrometer or thermometer listed in the other one even though I think its in the picture. You also won't need a carboy brush with a better bottle because it will ruin it so I don't know why they are selling them as part of the package.

Do a little searching around the net. Iwouldn't get the one from the LHBS unless you wanted it right this second. The austin kit is pretty good but don't forget to check out Northern Brewer Home Brewing and Winemaking Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes Rebel Brewer Homebrew Supply High Gravity Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies Online Store - High Gravity all good places to deal with. And the other thing is a direct fire gravity fed all grain set-up

Back