Sediment question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
I just bottled my very first batch of home brew. I noticed that there really didn't seem to be that much sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. I expected at least an inch. Did I not allow enough time for fermentation? The can of extract I used said wait till I had a 1.008 SG. It did have that SG so I bottled at 7 days exactly. I am going to wait a week and try a bottle to see how it tastes. It is an Irish Stout by the way. Any replies greatly appreciated. :mug:

I'd wait longer than a week. After bottling, I let them hang out for at least three weeks before thinking about cracking one open.

I would also wait longer, but you did fine by trusting your hydrometer. The general consensus on the board is that leaving the beer in primary for 2-3 weeks makes a cleaner beer.
But the real question is why did you expect a certain level of sediment? That's a pretty odd thing to A) Pay attention to and B) Have an expected result.

+1 on leaving it for 2-3 weeks but you did fine, next time just wait longer. You can drink a bottle after a week then another the next week and so on. This way you can taste the difference each week.

Don't worry about the Sediment. I don't expect a certain amount but some brews have more than others. What did you brew? Was it a kit? If so what brand?

Congrats on what seems like you payed very close attention to your process. Hydrometer and to the point of seeing how much sediment you had at the end :mug:.

You will be fine, but for future reference, forget the paper instructions as they relate to fermentation times if you want to have the best brew possible. If you aren't dry hopping, leave the beer in primary for 3 to 4 weeks to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves before bottling. Then leave the bottles alone at room temperature for 3 weeks. You will ultimately be much happier with the results.

Latest posts

Back