Minimum yeast starter for harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckda4th

Reaction score
Weekend plans changed, so I'm pondering brewing tomorrow now. Normally I'd have done a starter with some harvested yeast Weds or Thursday night.

I've seen some posts that one can get away with a yeast starter running for only 24 hours if it is shaken often. Would this change at all if I were to do it with harvested yeast?

I'm assuming no...just looking to see if anyone had first-hand experience.

TIA

How long has the harvested yeast been refrigerated? Was it a whole cake or split?

I used to warm up my slurries during brew-day and just pitch them. Never had any issues, even with 3month old cakes. Of course, I'd still recommend making a 24hr. starter. Just to wake it up. Be prepared for some krausen in the starter. Cakes are vigorous.

Divided a cake into thirds in mason jars kept in the fridge. One batch is about a month old (since harvest), other batch is about 2 months old. Both are second generation - I don't brew often enough to risk going deeper.

I agree with the statement about harvested top-cropping yeast in a starter - I have a 2000mL flask and do ~800mLs for the starter and it almost overflowed last time about 18 hours in. Then when it went into the beer and made quite a mess on top of the primary. Definitely have to use a blowoff the next time I use that strain.

I was thinking the same thing you said - pitching it straight in would probably even work, and there's really no reason even a 24 hour starter would hurt anything. Would at least get the yeast a little amped up for their party.

Thanks for your experience!

Back