Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teetee523

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new brewer, just bottled my first batch and brewed my second, which is in the bucket right now! This forum was so helpful with answering all of my questions and solving any issues. I just have a question about those who just use primary fermenters.

For our first batch, which was pretty basic, we kept it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottled it, just checking the hydrometer for FG and using that. I have been thinking about when we bottle our second batch, should we check the gravity with the hydrometer once for 2-3 days and see if the gravity stays level? Or just bottle after 3 weeks? Or does it depend on the beer? What do you all usually do?

Thanks in advance!

Always do an OG before pitching yeast,& an FG 1-3 days apart to make sure fermentation is complete. It's the only real way to know for sure.

I leave my beers in primary for a month to 5 weeks, then take a grav reading on my intended bottling day. If I'm at terminal gravity which is just about everytime, I go ahead and bottle. After 4-5 weeks I'm pretty sure my beer is going to be finished, or it's (rarely) stuck. But I've never found one stuck after the month.

Back