english ale yeast HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got done pitching an English Ale Yeast.. It looked CHUNKEY!! Is this normal for this yeast?? I have never used it before.
Cheers
JJ

I just got doen using this yeast and thought the same thing. I even made a video of it and posted here. I said it was the ESB yeast but I read the wrong package it is actually the English Ale Yeast. So to answer your question..yes its supposed to be that way.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Mf5wd-5zEk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Mf5wd-5zEk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Yup! That is the way it is suppose to be. Chunky and almost flem like. WLP 002 in the vial almost pours like jelly if you don't shake it up first. This is normal. It is kind of cool really. S.

Hilarious. I just signed on and searched white labs chunky yeast - I too have a vial of the chunky 002. It concerned me because I bought it yesterday and made a starter out of it last night, but the last batch I brewed was with the same yeast but was not chunky - it was normal like other yeasts.

Is there a possibility that sometimes it's chunky and sometimes it's not?

NitrouStang96 said:
Hilarious. I just signed on and searched white labs chunky yeast - I too have a vial of the chunky 002. It concerned me because I bought it yesterday and made a starter out of it last night, but the last batch I brewed was with the same yeast but was not chunky - it was normal like other yeasts.

Is there a possibility that sometimes it's chunky and sometimes it's not?

I guess so:D
Sorry this just made the smarta$$ in me come out;)

Back