Sight glass and thermo for brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I just bought this stock pot (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and want to put a thermometer with sight glass and ball valve.

Has anyone used this sight glass (http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=83) with this thermo (http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_50&product_id=156)?

I would love this http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_67_65&products_id=11805 but can't see spending that much on it. Though it is adjustable and I could use it on my next kettle or keggle

The valve I was thinking of just getting a simple 3 piece SS.

Right now I will be getting into BIAB until I build my mash tun. At first I will use a just a gravity system until I can afford to get a pump and plate chiller.

Any other recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of building some keggles,

I went with Bargain fittings for the Weldless Bulkheads, and ball valves

and went with Brew Hardware for the Sightglass and thermo. I'm Using some older kegs that have thicker walls on them and unfortunately the weldless sight kit wasn't long enough to fit through the walls of the keg. Bobby was very prompt in replying to my emails and is even sending out replacement parts.

Both places shipped very fast, and the products are good quality.

after the service i received from Bobby I will be more then happy to support him in the future

Get the valve kit from bargain fittings with the bigger o ring
oh yea and brewhardware has a really great sightglass.
And since you were looking at thermometers he has a combo sightglass/thermo for cheaper than JUST the blichmann thermometer

Just installed a thermometer/sightglass kit from bobby(brewhardware) installed easy and fit great no leak first try! Will try to post pics soon for ya.
:mug:

Going with bobby. I would rather give him business over the other stores.

Yet another vote for brewhardware.com. I have one on my HLT and kettle, also you'll be supporting a forum member.

jafo28 said:
Yet another vote for brewhardware.com. I have one on my HLT and kettle, also you'll be supporting a forum member.

Exactly why im doing it...plus the good reviews. I like giving my business to local shops and forum members.

I'd cut it after you install it and mark the cut line. You can remove the kit and make the cut prior to securing the top eyebolt or calibrating. A hack saw or just about any saw will make the cut and you can smooth it with sandpaper on a block of wood.

Yes, pot means any vessel with vertical sides. Converted Sankes have a slight downward radius at the bottom of the wall requiring a compensation angle in the tubing.

I'd cut it after you install it and mark the cut line. You can remove the kit and make the cut prior to securing the top eyebolt or calibrating. A hack saw or just about any saw will make the cut and you can smooth it with sandpaper on a block of wood.

Yes, pot means any vessel with vertical sides. Converted Sankes have a slight downward radius at the bottom of the wall requiring a compensation angle in the tubing.

Perfect. I figured that but I wanted to make sure before I ordered it then started cutting something I shouldn't have lol

Gotcha, I never knew sanke kegs did that. I thought it meant that the sanke keg has those ridges lol

Gonna order this along with a few others things from your site...thanks Bobby

I just orderd a couple sightglass's from Bobby myself. I didn't get the temp probes just cuz I have two PID's with temp probes in tee's. I may change my mind down the road for the BK but for right now I am looking forward to the HLT and BK getting sightglasses.

Another satisfied BrewHardware customer here. Ordered the two sight glasses (one thermo, one regular) and their new heat shields. Their shipping times were excellent, ordered on Wednesday and received them on Monday. Next thing that impressed me was the time and attention they put into the packaging.

Look at this picture of the packaging (slightly disassembled):

PC110103.jpg

Everything was wrapped and carefully taped to the box to ensure it didn't move around. Not too many companies will take that much time to make sure your product arrives undamaged.

Bobby from NJ, Bobby from Tallahassee salutes you and your great company!

I had just released some of my prototypes for sale a week ago and 15 of them sold very quickly. I'll have some production units ready next week.

Ok...Well here is a pic of the famous Bobby M Sightglass. Anyone want to teach me how to gas plumb this thing.....Its my last step

photo11.jpg

photo8.jpg

TallyPatriot said:
Another satisfied BrewHardware customer here. Ordered the two sight glasses (one thermo, one regular) and their new heat shields. Their shipping times were excellent, ordered on Wednesday and received them on Monday. Next thing that impressed me was the time and attention they put into the packaging.

Look at this picture of the packaging (slightly disassembled):

Everything was wrapped and carefully taped to the box to ensure it didn't move around. Not too many companies will take that much time to make sure your product arrives undamaged.

Bobby from NJ, Bobby from Tallahassee salutes you and your great company!

That's crazy I was going to say almost the exact same thing.. Made my own heat shield from the extra aluminum radio shack project box cover from my stir plate build. props to Bobby.

image-3312048509.jpg

image-967467391.jpg

image-2513840710.jpg

image-1937230731.jpg

I'm Using some older kegs that have thicker walls on them and unfortunately the weldless sight kit wasn't long enough to fit through the walls of the keg.

I'm calling shennanigans. Unless youre brewpot has a 1/2" hull there's no way it could be true as my pot is 3/8"

While I'm not trying to disparage the love fest for the other person's kit. Just grow a pair and wrench bargainfittings stuff down. it does work. One squishes and the other locks it in.

I'm calling shennanigans. Unless youre brewpot has a 1/2" hull there's no way it could be true as my pot is 3/8"

While I'm not trying to disparage the love fest for the other person's kit. Just grow a pair and wrench bargainfittings stuff down. it does work. One squishes and the other locks it in.

Luhrks, the only shenanigans going on is poor reading comprehension. He wasn't complaining about bargainfittings' product. The kit I shipped didn't have the thread length to get through the 1/4" wall and I fixed it for him when he contacted me by sending a longer piece. He was basically giving props to good customer service.

Back