Am I an alcoholic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch that show Intervention. Your few beers a night is nothing compared to the poor folks who down a fifth a day.

Never met an alcoholic who only drank beer anyways. It takes a LOT of beer to maintain the alchy lifestyle. Most make the switch to hard liquor.

Im at a bar by myself as we speak. Traveling for business always makes me look like a lush at the hotel bar :)

There was a period in my life when I drank a fifth a day plus 20 beers. Not exactly proud of it but I did it for a period of time. If that's you then you have a problem, not saying you're an alcoholic necessarily, but you need to take a long look in the mirror. Other then an ocassional glass of Scotch I stay away from hard liquor now and I drink less beer. I'm a 4-6 a day guy now and much happier.

I had a bad experience with hard alcohol when I was younger. Since then I can't drink the stuff. My obsession with beer is the taste and trying new stuff, not the getting hammered effect. Actually, I have such bad motion sickness that if I drink enough and start to get where the rooms is swaying I start puking from my motion sickness, I can get to black out cause I am puking long before then. What made me even question was the fact that my tolerance is getting really high, to the point where I rarely catch a buzz. I am writing this and enjoying a a Diet Big Red, less than 5 feet from me is the kegerator with two taps and I can careless... It isn't a problem it is a hobby that I am getting too good at.

Anyone one who drinks just a few a day or or 6 throughout the week doesn't have a problem.

I work over nights in a warehouse and go in at 11pm and I normally have 6 or so before I leave for work and 1 or 2 when I get off in the morning. But I only do that 4 or 5 days a week. The only problem I have Is keeping my wallet happy.

I say drink what you want when you want.

Drink on!

. So what? It's my life :)

Rev.

This is exactly what I have in my mind...it's MY life!!! As long as I don't let my drinking interfer with anything it is ok in my book. Here are the questions you should ask yourself:

Does drinking ever make you not go to work or pay your bills
Does drinking keep you apart form your friends or family
Does drinking make your less desirable to be around
Does drinking stop you from doing anything you would of done not drinking

If you answer YES to these then you have a problem. I can drink and still function perfectly normal. I don't have to have a beer i just want one. If i run out of beer and its raining/snowing out do I go get some...no...I wait cause i am not a alcoholic.

If you want to judge me for drinking go right ahead it is your right, but only keep in mind I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING F*&K This is my life and I chose to beer a drinker, and your life is yours to choose to be whatever you want.

All in all I can sum up my desire to hear your opinions during MY life with the saying that is tattooed on my forearm:

"Only God will judge me" :mug:

I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I'm on this site all the time trying to learn new techniques for this hobby. I only drink 2 to 4 nights a week and even then I only have 1 or 2 each night. I like trying the different beers to see how they all taste. The last time I was drunk was all the way in September or October of 2010 and that was at a wedding. I don't care to have a hangover the next day so it's not worth it to get all jacked up and feel like crap the next day. I also don't have a beer belly and I go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour or more. I don't think my wife likes this hobby all that much, but I think that's more of the price tag that comes with the equipment I constantly buy than the beer drinking. lol

I don't think so. Alcoholics generally don't seem to worry about it. Sometimes it drives me nuts when I'm in a time when I always seem to be drinking something. That's when, I'm done for a couple of weeks.

I tend to drink 1-3 beers a night on weeknights, a couple more on weekends. I feel like I'm pushing it slightly on the alcohol consumption, so I'm looking to brew more low ABV session beers, so I can enjoy my beverage of choice while keeping the total alcohol lower. I wanna be able to have my three beers a night and still keep my girlish figure ;) and my liver happy.

I never drink more than two beers at a time, and rarely ever three in a day. That said, I have a pretty consistent two-a-day habit. One around 4pm when I start relaxing after a busy school day and another one with dinner. I just consider it kind of like a (way better) alternative to soda, which I've never really liked.

I have worried about the possibility of being an alcoholic, because I really look forward to having beer in the evening and sometimes am tempted to have one with lunch, too.

I'm addicted to nicotine. I have been for 25 years, if I don't have it and can't get it I immediately freak the f*ck out. My beer is a different story. I like to have a beer or two every night but if I can't than it's no big deal. I had a PI arrest a couple years ago and because I drank beer everyday I was labelled an alcoholic. I had to attend classes and AA because of it. Now don't get me wrong, AA is a wonderful thing and for the people who need it, it works miracles in their lives. However for me it only reinforced the fact that I was merely a casual/sometimes heavy drinker.

I find myself reaching for a brew around 5-6pm everyday. Sometimes I have 1 sometimes I have 4 or 5 but I drink beer everyday. Have for quite sometime without fail. In fact If I know I'll be away from Home at night I make sure to bottle up a few brews from the Keg to take with me. The way I see it is if drinking a glass of wine everyday is healthy, so is a beer or 4 :). Can't be any worse than being addicted to coffee or soda pop (of which I drink neither). BTW, can't remember the last time I drank so much I got a hangover.

Do you go to AA meetings? or are you court ordered to so? if so, you may be an alcoholic...

Do you go to AA meetings? or are you court ordered to so? if so, you may be an alcoholic...

If you're court ordered to do so, you also may not be...

That said, I usually have one or two a night. I rarely get drunk (once/month), sometimes skip a night (once/month) and certainly do not consider myself an alcoholic.

I poured a beer today and then decided I was "thirsty" so I drank water first, then enjoyed the beer.

I have a beer gut, but I'm not an alcoholic. I don't trust anybody talking to me about beer that doesn't have a beer gut. Exercising is their hobby, not beer.

Only people that drink more then me at alcoholics. That's how it works right? No one faces that they might have a problem until it progress to the point of major repercussions.

I was told some time back that you're only an alcoholic if you're in denial. I know that I like to drink and try to often so I'm not in denial.

beerloaf

I tend to drink 1-3 beers a night on weeknights, a couple more on weekends. I feel like I'm pushing it slightly on the alcohol consumption, so I'm looking to brew more low ABV session beers, so I can enjoy my beverage of choice while keeping the total alcohol lower. I wanna be able to have my three beers a night and still keep my girlish figure ;) and my liver happy.

This is me exactly. Ever since switching to partial mash, for some reason I've opted to brew things only in the 3.9-4.9% ABV range. It's a substantial difference (in calories) from the big IPAs of this summer, so I feel less guilty drinking 2 or 3 a night. Also, less of a buzz, which is a good thing when you're enjoying the beverage, rather than the alcohol.

I consult this site to figure out how to brew better beer. I am on it every day.
When I start reading I want to reach for a beer. Even though I say I won't I end up having one in my hand and drinking it!

Some key factors in determining if you are an alcoholic are:

1) Can you stop drinking alcohol before you are completely wasted? Do you keep drinking alcohol until it is all gone? In other words, do you have voluntary control over your alcohol consumption? If you do control how much you drink, that is a huge point in favor of not being alcoholic.

2) Is the amount of alcohol you drink having a negative effect on your life? Are you missing work or school due to hang-overs? Do you plan your activities around drinking opportunities? Are you being isolated from your family by being drunk or hung-over? In other words, is drinking alcohol becoming the most important thing in your life?

3) Do you drink alcohol at inappropriate times? Are you drinking while alone with your young children? Drinking and driving? Drinking at work? This shows an increasing disregard for your own safety, and that of others.

If any of these factors are present, then you are strongly at risk of a problem. If two factors are present then you do have a problem.

In my experience as a counselor, people with the self-awareness to ask such questions as you are asking rarely get into deep trouble, since they can see where they are going. Most alcoholics have an extraordinary capacity for self-delusion and denial and therefore never figure out what is happening to them until things are far out of control.

If you really want to know if you are an alcoholic, or at risk, you might ask those around you what their impression is. But since you are concerned about your own behavior, and since you admit to being a little out of control with the drinking, i.e. saying that you don't want to have a beer but having one anyway, that would be enough for me to say to chill out on the alcohol for some time and figure out what is going on and what role you want alcohol to play in your life.

Take care.

Some key factors in determining if you are an alcoholic are:

1) Can you stop drinking alcohol before you are completely wasted? Do you keep drinking alcohol until it is all gone? In other words, do you have voluntary control over your alcohol consumption? If you do control how much you drink, that is a huge point in favor of not being alcoholic.

2) Is the amount of alcohol you drink having a negative effect on your life? Are you missing work or school due to hang-overs? Do you plan your activities around drinking opportunities? Are you being isolated from your family by being drunk or hung-over? In other words, is drinking alcohol becoming the most important thing in your life?

3) Do you drink alcohol at inappropriate times? Are you drinking while alone with your young children? Drinking and driving? Drinking at work? This shows an increasing disregard for your own safety, and that of others.

If any of these factors are present, then you are strongly at risk of a problem. If two factors are present then you do have a problem.

In my experience as a counselor, people with the self-awareness to ask such questions as you are asking rarely get into deep trouble, since they can see where they are going. Most alcoholics have an extraordinary capacity for self-delusion and denial and therefore never figure out what is happening to them until things are far out of control.

If you really want to know if you are an alcoholic, or at risk, you might ask those around you what their impression is. But since you are concerned about your own behavior, and since you admit to being a little out of control with the drinking, i.e. saying that you don't want to have a beer but having one anyway, that would be enough for me to say to chill out on the alcohol for some time and figure out what is going on and what role you want alcohol to play in your life.

Take care.

1. Sometimes. Sometimes. Most of the time.
2. Nope. Nope, I take my hangovers with me. Yep. Nope. Nope.
3. Sometimes. Alone, of course! With the kids, nope. Only when I go fishing and don't have plans on leaving the property. Nope.

Not sure if any of these answers can truly be defined as a 'problem'. All things being equal, you are the only one who can define you as an alcoholic. Do you think you need help?

Back