What size cooler mash tun is best for keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am planning and brewing with a keggle very soon with a final wort amount of 12 gallons. I currently have a 52 quart mash tun (13 gallon) which isn't going to cut it when adding in 25-30lbs of grain.

Should I upgrade to something like a 75quart cooler? Should that be plenty?

Thanks!

I don't know that your going to be able to boil that much in a keggle, since I assume to get 12 gals final you'll be starting with about 14 gals.

For my 10 gallon batches, I use a 60qt igloo. I'd think 75qts would do it for 12.

It depends on what you are looking to do overall, grain/water ratio, etc, but Bobby really spells it out.

...Here's the easy way for you to decide based on your needs.

mltsizetable.gif

Keep in mind that even if you think you might want to do both 5 and 10 gallon batches, odds are your really high gravity beers will be 5 gallon batches. Who needs 10 gallons of barleywine?

Just for example, a 10 gallon mash tun can do 5 gallons of 1.118 barleywine (~11% ABV) and 10 gallon batches of 1.060 IPA (~6% ABV). I personally think something in the 50-60qt range is most flexible in that regard if you don't mind a square/rectangular cooler.

If you want to figure for larger or smaller batch sizes, take the number in the "Max Gravity Units" column and divide that by your desired batch size.

Back