Help w/oak barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well after looking around for a used 15 gallon used barrel I have gave up and I'm going to buy a new one. So does anyone know how to get rid of the charr fast without distroying the barrel?

Primary- Gold SMaSH
Secondary- Brett Saison
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA, Kolsch, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace Pilsner, 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout
Bottled- Zeus IPA, Berliner Weisse
Next- 100% Brett Pale Ale, SMaSH Beer

thanks man, prices aren't bad at all

Primary- Gold SMaSH
Secondary- Brett Saison
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA, Kolsch, Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale, Sorachi Ace Pilsner, 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout

So I bought the used 15 gallon whiskey barrel today. I'm thinking the first beer will be a Double Pale Ale or Scottish Wee Heavy though I'm leaning more to the Wee Heavy.

Primary- Gold SMaSH
Secondary- Brett Saison

how was the barrel from tuthilltown, would you mind posting some pics, I'm thinking about picking up the 15 gallon barrel and was wondering about the crafstmanship, dimensions, etc.

Its in great shape, almost looks brand new. I will be fulling it next weekend with 15 gallons of Wee Heavy.

Primary-
Secondary- Wee Heavy, Brett Saison
15 Gal Bourbon Barrel-
Kegged- Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale, 10 Gal Black IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Gold SMaSH
Bottled- Berliner Weisse, Sorachi Ace Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout
Next batches- 100% Brett Pale Ale, SMaSH Pale Ale

Barrel.JPG

As far as craftsmanship, I have been to Tuthilltown since I live about 25 min. away. They do have A LOT of barrels available and they are all of a very nice quality. The prices are the best around for what you are getting. You can also get some used oak staves made from used barrels for a bit cheaper if you don't want to go the whole barrel route.

Back