Johnson A419 Temp Control settings for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've finally juggled some things around so I now have a fridge I can use to control fermentation temps. Since it's summer, that just means cooling so I'm using a Johnson A419 controller and a carboy cap that allows me to get the probe into the center of the fermenter.

If I want to ferment at 66, how "tight" should I set the controls?

Right now, I have SP=68 and DIF=2 so the fridge kicks on when the probe reads 68 and shuts off when it reads 66. Since it's chilling from the outside in, I figured having the higher set point makes sense since the outer wort would likely be at a temp below the shutoff temp.

What I'm most curious is what others use for the DIF. Should I set to 1 or even 0? Is there enough thermal mass that the fridge won't be constantly turning on and off? Or, should I set the DIF to 0 (or 1) and up the ASDL delay from 5 to 15 minutes to save wear and tear on the fridge?

Thanks!

I have mine at 2 differential and ASDL is 12.... That's for a Keezer.
For my fermenter I have a Love controller with a tighter diff, I think it is .5 .

Back