Finally back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Yo guys! I'm 30 minutes into my boil on my first batch of beer in two years! (Sept 28, '08 to be exact)
:tank:

Here is a pic of my temporary, and ghetto, outdoor setup.

Note the new 15 gallon Tarhong aluminum kettle, drilled and mounted with a 1/2" ball valve, arbitrarily restricted to 3/8" on the hosing since that's what my other gear is, but with the option of switching the barb later when i get nice 1/2" brewday hosing.

The beer is a generic pale-ish-wheat ale. Extract, no grains at all, just so I can dry run my equipment (but still get beer from it).

3# Xtra-Light DME at 60 minutes
1/2 oz Cascade 6.5%AA at 60 minutes
1/2 oz ish Hersbrucker 3.2%AA (old) at 20 minutes
3.3# Briess Wheat LME at 20 minutes
1/2 oz Cascade 6.5%AA at 20 minutes
1/2 oz ish Hersbrucker 3.2%AA (old) at 20 minutes
2 packs of old Safale US-05 to ensure enough yeast get in it.

Bottoms up! Will post back when I'm done!

21860468323_ORIG.jpg

There are so many things I want to comment on in this picture! First, what is that on the tip tier of the stand? Second, what is on top of your grill? Third, is that a highlife on previously mentioned third tier? But most importantly.... WELCOME BACK!!!!

Brew went smoothly! I got a really good whirlpool, and excellent break on all of my trub. Picture attached below.

That's a pest sprayer (bought it new specifically for brewing, NOT re-used!!) filled up with StarSan, to spray things on-demand. That's a small piece of picket fencing, I put it on there because I moved the kettle on top of the Weber grill to get extra height for cooling through my CFC. And yup, that's a can of High Life. :D

And thanks! :D Now, bedtime, i'm out of brewin' shape, my back hurts! lol

21864590015_ORIG.jpg

That looks like a really nice cold break! Looks like you have an identical setup to mine, other than you use a counter-flow chiller and I'm stuck with the immersion.

It's a Phil's Chiller, found on consignment for $40 back when I had first started. Otherwise I too would own an IC, as CFCs are a little bit fiddly to clean/maintain, while an IC is easy - just dunk it in 10 minutes early and you're there. :p

Once I return to doing All Grain I already have a blue Igloo 48qt mash tun, plain' ol rectangle with a stainless-steel toilet braid for its' manifold, that has served me fantastically well so far. However, last night I used every shelf on that orange storage unit for something or another, so I'll need to re-think where to put the mash tun during action. I'll also need a better long-term solution for my brew kettle height (in order to get good gravity feed into the CFC) as the Weber grill is quite old, I wouldn't want to cause it to collapse, because I still grill on it.

Back