Whats wrong with this brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good deal on a 40qt stainless steel brew pot for a while now. I can't seem to find anything cheaper than this one from AHS. Why is its so cheap? I don't really want to spend $300 for a fancy one but I've found them elsewhere for around $130. I can't really tell what I'm getting with the economy pot. Has anyone bought one of these?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=2321

AHS usually doesn't sell inferior products. The reason this is cheaper than the others is probably lack of spigot/thermometer.

It is inexpensive because it will be lighter and thinner than say a Polarware pot.

I have one and used it as a HLT (still do some times).

Nothing wrong with something like that for a starter pot. Add a weldless fitting and a bazooka screen and you have a kick axx boil kettle for the price of a thicker pot that has no drain.

I got a 36-qt SS pot for $60-some, and the place I got it from also sells a 42-qt pot for like $75 or something. Like others said, it is just a thinner pot and there are no spigots. Mine works fine.

I guess I'll find out if I should have spent more money. Should be here next week. I'm not sure that I will put a spigot on it but maybe.

Dont sweat it!! That kettle is a great product for the price. Just add a weldless adapter and you have yourself a great boil kettle for less then $100.

Back