Leaked sanitizer into brew busket!!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilline78

Reaction score
So I was making a batch of nut brown and was putting the airlock in place on the bucket.
As I pushed on the airlock a vacuum pulled some of the iodofor solution into the fermentation bucket. Will this small amount of sanitizer kill the yeast? Will it cause off flavors? Does this small mishap ruin the entire batch? Thanks for your input.

no. that small amount of sanitizer in 5 gallons will not affect the yeast or the flavor of the beer.

relax. this happens a lot more than you think.

You'll be fine. I did the same thing on my last batch on accident. Tastes great. And now I use cheap vodka.

+1 on the Vodka. If it does get in your fermenter, it won't hurt anything and won't cause off flavors. It's probably the safest thing to put in an airlock.

Star San = yeast nutrient :rockin:

In moderation, please don't start dumpin StarSan in ur beer b/c of me :drunk:

Idophor is really not the best thing to put in your airlock. The problem with idophor is that it's sanitizing properties dissipate in 24 hours; so it is like putting sanitized water in there. Starsan, mild bleach solution, or alcohol are all better. Vodka/Rum/Wiskey .... the cheapest you can find are all good choices as you don't care if it ends up in the beer.

Any issue with using Tequila? I didn't make it to the liquor store when I brewed. I've been using Tequila in mine ;)

I use cheap whiskey.. on the recommendation of someone else here. Its nice to have a little color.. you can more easily see the fluid level in the lock.

You'll be fine. I did the same thing on my last batch on accident. Tastes great. And now I use cheap vodka.

+1 for vodka. And you can slurp the airlock shot after fermentation.

I use cheap whiskey.. on the recommendation of someone else here. Its nice to have a little color.. you can more easily see the fluid level in the lock.

+1 for this idea too. Planned for today's brew. And, I like doing bourbon shots better than vodka shots.

This is the first forum that I have joined and it was in a fit up worry about if i killed my batch. I am a total newbie and just get ultra excited. Thanks again for the great replies and info. Sounds like from now on I will just be using water or vodka in my airlock. :mug: cheers

Latest posts

Back