The beer that has not Cleared ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyNick

Reaction score
This batch is still in my primary and has not started to clear.I do not have any way to cold crash yet. Will it hurt to let it ride untill it clears. Or should I bottle now?
Batch started on 12/13/08.
8 lbs. Light LME.
1LB crushed crystal malt.
8oz. crushed victory.
2oz. Cascade Bittering Hops.
1oz. Cascade Finishing Hops.
I do not know what type of yeast, It was part of a Brewers Best IPA kit.
I did rehydrate the yeast and initial fermintation was fast and furious.
I did not have a very good Hydrometer flask, I had a hard time keeping the hydrometer off the side. Since upgraded.
For my SG .90 ?. @70 deg.
Checked again on 1/08/09 .20. Brought the batch into a warmer room about70deg.
On 1/24 checked Fg .10
Taste great and smells great.
And last how long can you let it sit with out loosing the yeast to carbonate your bottles?

Thanks to all....

Beer will not necessarily just drop clear by it self. If you don't have a way of coldcrashing, try a fining agent such a gelatin. You can use Irish Moss in the future, but this needs boiled. If you can't cold crash, just bottle it and drink cloudy beer this time. It does not mean it's not great beer, just not real clear. you can also try racking to a secondary to help clear it.

A "cube" type cooler, with a homemade foam lid and a couple of frozen 2 liter bottles of water, will chill enough to cold crash.

It is hard to beat cold crashing. The yeast and stuff just falls out of the beer in layers. It is pretty cool to watch.

I cold crash everything but wheat beers now.

While I don't usually secondary for most styles, this would be one situation where I would give it a shot. What i would do is rack the beer onto some prepared gelatin (do a search for proper usage), let it sit for a couple of days, and then put the carboy on ice. Let it sit in the ice/cold water bath for a few days, occasionally replenishing the ice (or adding frozen water bottles/ those blue picnic cooler thingies/ whatever), and it should drop out most particulates and proteins. If that doesn't work, you have some sort of permanent haze or chill haze, and will just have to live with it.

For future batches, I would recommend adding Whirlfloc to the boil.

Back