Want to buy a Refractometer - have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-ta-sauraus

Reaction score
I am in the market for a refractometer. Prefer as inexpensive as possible but of decent quality.

Found this company on e-bay -http://stores.ebay.com/easylifeproduct_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Anyone bought a refractometer from this company? How do you like it? Which model did you buy for beer?

Any other inexpensive options out there?

Anyone have one they want to sell?

Wanting automatic temp compensation on the unit as well.

This forum, is always a wealth of info, don't fail me now!:mug:

Brew; First don't laugh, I've been using a Reichert 7181 Duo Chek refractometer that is used for battery and anti-freeze checking that is temperature compensated. It reads in degrees F as it can be ordered in degrees C. A $139 unit that we had many extras on a job after purchasing 142 tons of batteries. I got one free from the battery manufacture driver.
It has two scales one for battery SG from 1.100 to 1.300 (BIG STOUTS?) and for anti-freeze that goes to zero on distilled water. Scale reads to .01 but i'm below it using the anti-freeze scale and read between the +32 to +25, +20, +15 on down to -50. At +18 is equal to 1.100 sg on down to +32 distilled water. I used a couple brewing refractometers to make a corrected scale chart for my brewing and read between the numbers, call me cheap so far it works plus free.

This same unit is available used on Ebay with 1 day 6 hours left and at $23.
Ebay # 23032064840. Some day i'll get the real deal.

I just bought one off of ebay yesterday. I looked at that companym but went with another. I don't know anything about them, but there were too many other countries involved in it for me to feel comfortable with a quick turn around time.

member since notes them from hong kong
most items appear to ship from there
although most auctions are in AU dollars or GBP.

I felt it was going to be a pain in the ass to get the thing.

These are the people I bought mine from.
I know they are from canade, but at least its the same continent :).

Thanks Stevea I like your vendor better as well. Would rather not wait 3 mos for my unit. Do you like how it functions? Seem pretty accurate?

Just as an FYI I have ordered a few ebay items from Hong Kong and they have all arrived in less the 2 weeks.

I ordered mine from "gainexpress", and it arrived within a week. It was the "NEW Grape Wine Alcohol Refractometer 0-25% Brix 0-40%"(Model # RHWN-25 /BrixATC). Still getting used to it, but it's definitely a lot of fun.

Thanks Stevea I like your vendor better as well. Would rather not wait 3 mos for my unit. Do you like how it functions? Seem pretty accurate?

I only "won" it yesterday. It hasn't shipped yet, so I can't tell you yet ;)

I bought a 0-32% refractometer from this seller, only took about a week to arrive from Hong Kong, but took about 4 days to ship (per his policy).

I have not brewed with it, but have tested some different juices in the fridge - super easy to use, and for $24 delivered, seems like a great deal.

eBay Seller: greatdel: Home Garden, Business Industrial items on eBay.com

Intersting, that is who I bought mine from. You say yours shipped from hong kong. The auction I won say they are from canada, and the item ships from usa, there isn't any mention of hong kong anywhere. Guess I'll see next week when the item ships.

Thru; Direct Indrustry.com they have different models available that are made in the UK by Bellingham+Stanley. 0-10%Brix .1 div @45 BP, 18% Brix .1 Div @46.50 BP, 0-32%Brix .2 div @46 BP, 26-62%Brix .2 Div @46.40 BP. This is E-Line Optical Hand Held Reflectometers all with ATC.
ReflectometerShop.com Eclipse, UK made by Bellingham+Stanley.

Reichert Duo-Chek that I am using that is for battery sg and anti-freeze protection that records distilled water at +32*F on up to -50*F I just use a chart that I made for the correct sg readings with .01 divisions.

Latest posts

Back